Prep before Mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by RedWingsDet, Aug 26, 2006.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

To get weeds out before you lay mulch, do you ever use a garden hoe to break apart the roots from the weeds and then rake them into a pile?

Im not sure if it will work or not, but im sure if it works itll save alot of time.

I have to lay 14 yards of mulch on monday and I want to make sure I can prep it and lay it in the quickest time possible. Thanks

2. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

For big weeds then pull them up. If small weeds or if there is bermuda or whatever then just spray with round up and dont worry about them.

3. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Flat blade shovel works good for us.

4. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I use a garden hoe to get the weeds out. It works great and is ALOT quicker than by hand.:usflag:

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Just about anything except landscape fabric for us.

Fabric is a nuisance.

Tools always seem to come through.

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Hoe or a rock rake to uproot the weeds, then 4" of mulch. They won't grow through.

Fabric should only be used under rock.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

cut them down with a line trimmer and then spray them with round-up and a pre-emergent.

8. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member

if it's a new bed then take the weeds/grasses out with and edging shovel and a good landscape fabric is best before the mulch but if your'e just adding a new one on top of the existing mulch then you should take the weeds out and spray the bed before mulching.

:drinkup:

9. whales

whales LawnSite Member

Not a fan of landscape fabric. I'd rather go with the idea of removing material, spraying, etc.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

for me it has proven usless in the past, andi dont use it any more..... 3 or 4 inches of mulch after spraying seems to work the best....