Prep for veneer on basement concrete wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by NEUSWEDE, Jan 25, 2009.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Looking for a bit of input not sure which way to go. I am starting Veneer on a concrete wall along a staircase in the basement of a house. I have prior experience veneering walls but need some input on the prep for this. The wall has been painted so it is very smooth compared to untreated concrete. What should I do get the wall ready for a scratch coat? Acid wash of some sort? Use a paint stripper first?

DSC00072.jpg

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Locate the studs and screw in mesh. Get a few drywall anchors too........you can't over do the anchoring. Apply a scratch coat and then go to town the NEXT day.

The anchors are what are holding the stone to the wall.

3. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

its not drywall it is a solid 12" thick concrete wall just want to know what I should use to get it back to raw concrete so my scratch coat will hold

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Gotcha.....I'd just go to a hardware store and see what paint stripper they have available.

5. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

for that small area
    I would install metal lath with concrete nails you can buy a magnet to make it go faster and easier.
    then scratch coat and veneer

6. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Paint stripper, and then rough up the wall with an angle grinder or wire brush, in order to make sure that no paint stripper is still on the wall.
    Post pictures when you're done, I'd like to see it.

7. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 4 in diamond honing blade for my right angle grinder that would make short work of that paint and rough up the surface all in one step.

8. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

If this were an outside project I would use a grinder but inside would make such a mess not to mention health concerns, the time you'll spend doing the prep covering steps and and or furniture and all the rest would be more than couple hours.
    Using the metal lath would not only be faster but more secure.

9. ozarkearthworks

ozarkearthworks LawnSite Member
    from nwa

Good bookmark to check out...

http://www.themoldstore.info/Installing_Stone.html

Very true info offered (besides the start at the top tip). Build upward and wet each stone before buttering to impede dry stone from sucking the moisture out of your mix...

10. Classic Landscaping

Classic Landscaping LawnSite Member

Check out this web site, "cultured stone". I think that's how it's spelled, its Owens Illinois I beleive. The site covers every aspect of the process.

You must apply wire lath and 2 skim coats, check out the site, it will answer all your questions.

Pat