Prepaid cell phones

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Feb 20, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I will finally get a cell phone this year, but not sure which way to go. I dont really talk much but like to have the convenience of it. Thought about going with a monthy plan but dont really want the monthly payments in winter months and I dont need a cell phone in winter times. Anyone use prepaid cells? Are they more $$ in the long run. What are the pros & conns.

2. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Prepaid is a lot of trouble in my opinion when you call to renew minutes it can be a real problem and most run out in two months or so if you don't use up all the minutes. If your using the cell # and giving it to customers they may want to call you in the winter for some side work or extras. If you keep the same # it will help them get in touch with you. In the long run if you can afford it a monthly cell plan is best and most people don't talk to machines (click) and go to the next add. I think a regular cell will pay for itself many times over. Plus if you put your # in an add or on your business card with the plan you will be able to keep your # the same all the time. If your minutes run out for to long on a prepaid phone you will not be able to use the same # (I know).

3. celltech

celltech LawnSite Member

I have actually been considering the same thing. I am just starting this year, so I am not sure if I will have the customer base to have a full fledge cell phone.

I checked with the cell company that I work for, and if I went with a pre-pay, I could get 100 anythime minutes, and 1000 night and weekends for $25 a re-fill. That is a really REALLY bad $/minute rate. For, I think, soemthing like $4 I can get voicemail. But the main thing I wanted to know about, is if in 2 months business is booming, can I switch that number over to a regular plan. The answer was yes. So, just to see how things take off in the begining, I am going with the pre-pay.

I am a field tech so that is why I was not up on the sales side of things and plans offered. But the really stupid part is that I already have 3 phones and a pager (I am on call 24/7) from the company for free (oops I mean for work). But I want to keep everything seperate from work and home.

I forgot one thing. You only have to make (or recieve I think) one call a month for the minutes to roll over. And I think they will roll over on the pre-pay for 6 months. That is my company, I don't know what the others offer.

4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Once you get one you will want to use it more then you think. Get a monthly plan. Buy your own phone if you don't want to be locked into a contract.

5. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

You will be surprised how quick 100 minutes will go. As far as night and week end minutes go, I'm normally home at night and on week ends, as are most people. Thats why all the cell phone companys use this as a selling tool. THEY KNOW IT! I do use my cell phone a lot. I use Sun Com, unlimited minutes, free long distance, and no roaming charges. I can talk all I want, anytime I want for $49.00 per month.

6. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

PJ, I finally broke the bubble this past year also. I refused almost to a point becasue I did without one for so long. You get charged to much for prepaid. what I did while cash flow was high i paid in advance so that thru the winter i would be carrying a credit on my bill.

7. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

a cell phone is a good write off during tax time..... *l* i just wish i could use my unused winter minutes during the summer when i actually talk alot.

8. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Cingluar will role over the unused minutes for 12 months.

9. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Which companies do you use...I use tmobile and Nextel
    Which companies have the best rates you have found?

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use T-Mobile now, but just a call from SBC today. They have joined with Cingular and offering a deal just for today...like 10% off. I like the idea of rollover minutes. In the winter you can roll over the minutes for the high summer use. That is a great deal on unlimited minutes for $49!!!