Preparing area for sod

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mybowtie, Jun 5, 2008.

1. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I have a customer that had a inground pool installed last yr. The company that did the finish landscaping used some cheap/sandy topsoil, and the grass is very sparce at best. He wants grass bad. So I am going to put sod down.

I'm renting a skidsteer with a power rake. Should I remove 3-4 inches of dirt and replace with topsoil, or should I use the rake to mix the topsoil with whats already there??. Should I roll the area before i lay the sod??
    Thanks for any replies/tips.............:usflag:

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd mix in some organic material with the existing soils... Unless it's just horrible. Roll after you lay the sod for a good contact.

3. mybowtie

from NY

The area around to pool is gravel. Had to build up the area a couple feet.
    The topsoil they put down was very sandy........:usflag:

4. Jb3NH

Jb3NH LawnSite Member

If you can mix up some sweet soil onsite with organic material go for it and roll it, get those air pocket out of there. I'm just guessing but if it that isn't going to hold moisture then maybe an irrigation system is the way to go. I'm intrested in how you're going to solve this situation. Post how this played out.

5. mybowtie

from NY

The plan as of now is to remove 3-4" off the top, replace with topsoil,fertilize,
    then sod and roll. Lots, and lots of water after..........:usflag:

6. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think you need to remove any of the existing soil. Unless it will put your finished grade to high, I would till in some really dense topsoil (3" - 4") with plenty of compost and you should be good to go. When you start removing materials, you really raise the cost of the job. As for the rest of the job, rolling, deep watering and a high quality organic fertilizer should be all you need.

7. mybowtie

from NY

The finish grade would be too high if i added top without removing some soil first....Money is no object with this guy. Already gave him a price for the job with removing soil.