Preparing for blower ban-Which would blow drive better?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey, Nov 14, 2001.

1. casey

casey Guest

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Casey I know of many LMO who use their machines wb and Zs alike to clear off drives and the like. If you have a ban for blowers than this would seem to be the appropriate course of action if I were in your shoes.

You could check into vacs (parker/billygoat/etc) for commercial propertys where they may have a more stringent policy, but I would think done correctly you could pretty much get away with your machines.

I have also seen guys use a line trimmer for a quick dust off of debris too.

Kris

Maybe you could take the housing off your Toro CCRs and put your sno crews to work during the green months too -LOL!!!

3. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, we used to do this in the 80s before the old man bought us our first blowers. It was difficult but better than sweeping and we got pretty good at it with practice.

Still, nothing beats the blower for this. I can't believe they would ban 'em. Makes me feel pretty low on the totem poll as a landscaper...

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Does the ban also include 4 stroke motors and w/b blowers?

5. casey

casey Guest

As far as I know yes.
    What I was wondering was if the ban included handheld blower/vacs set up as a vac. An Echo shred&vac set up with the vac attachment & no bag could be used to blow steps clean with the output tube. An extension could be put on the output tube to make it more effective. This would technically be a vac & not a blower.

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

You need to let your customers know that a blower ban would not be in their best interest, as there is no other way for YOU as a LCO to clear debris from their lawns and paved areas effectively and ECONOMICALLY. When these folks realize that cost of a mow and blow (er, sweep and rake?) is going to double maybe they will get their lazy butts off the Barcalounger and to the public hearing.

Blower ban? If it were my market Id just let the chaff set there, when the customer beefs let em contact their alderman or whoever.

7. I forget the model numbers, but if your backpack blower is an ECHO, some can be converted to VACs. I would look into this. I know and have seen some LCO's in Santa Barbra, CA that went this route. Thank god their ban was thrown out by the courts, but it took over 3 years.
    John

8. casey

casey Guest

Just checked & there is a vac attachment avail for our Echo PB6000's. I've never seen one in action. I assume the bag attaches where the blower tube is but how would the vac intake attach, the frame blocks the fan housing??
    Did they have any problems running their BP's as vacs in terms of the law? Did the law distinguish between the vac & blower?
    Did these guys blow with the output tube without a bag or did they put the bag on & vac?
    Thanks.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

maybe its time all you guys get together and hire a lawyer to fight for your freedom to earn a living. Even in Canada you guys have rights don't you? There has to be some sort of legal loophole someone can challenge.

10. casey

casey Guest

In Canada we have the right not to get shot & the right to free health care.
    Just want to be prepared, looks like a loosing battle right now.