Preparing for season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eager Beaver, Jan 6, 2001.

1. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver LawnSite Member

We are currently reviewing our plan for prospecting new customers and would like to know what has been the most successful for most of you . FLYERS? DIRECT MAIL OUTS? LARGE PHONE BOOK ADS? INSERTS IN NEWSPAPERS? etc. We are looking for the best bang for the buck to start the 2001 season.

2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Eager Bever how many accounts do you now have? Usually if you have several, and your work is verygood. It will sell itself, by word of mouth from your clients. But if i was to do any advertizeing i would go with Phone Book and Fliers.

3. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

EB- The advertising that got me the most work was door hangers from http://www.NEBS.COM. They show and sell your professionalism. Next in line was good customers passing along my name to others.

4. Turfclippings

Turfclippings LawnSite Member

Flyers have a good return ratio. i use to pass them out early mornings about the time the morning paper was beeing delivered so people got them in the morning with their paper. I can honestly say, i would always get a call about 9am the mornings i did flyers to come out and give an estimate. I also run a little ad in the local weekly paper. The paper is free at the grocery stores and is supported by the ads. They print 25000 a week and we usually get 2 or 3 calls a week from that ad. its costs us 12$ a week. I dont run ad in the phone books to expensive for the return. the area i live in, i recieve flyers on the average of 1-2 a week at the paper box come spring.

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I read this in a book somewhere so I can't take the credit for the idea or the Grassmaster might pop up again but..

Check the sold and bought property listings in the Sunday paper and have a letter made up to send to the new owners if you know the area where the property is saying congrats on the new purchase, blah blah blah, and I would like to offer my services to you.

Might just work??

6. plow kid

plow kid Banned

here is another; keep about 50-75 fliers in your truck and when you stop for breakfast or lunch look for a self serve news stand, pay the 50 cents and have a buddy hold the door open and stuff a full page flier in each paper, it works!
    and is worth the 50cents, 2.50 a week, cant beat that price

7. mbwent

mbwent LawnSite Member

Direct mail in fluorescent envelopes larger than standard size envelopes works well. Wal Mart usually has a good stock of these! Also larger than average glossy postcards with bright eye-catching colors. Phone book results depend on number of contractors of your type already listed in book. If more than 10, don't waste your money. Door hangers and word of mouth work nicely too. "Guido"'s idea of new homeowners is well worth trying also. Try to contact your county land records office and find out how you can get the info. on change of deeds as soon as possible after settlement, BEFORE all the other service providers get to the new owners.

Good luck!!!

8. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for all the great ideas. I agree that the best advertising is prior customer referrals and word of mouth. Ameritech ads are running 170.00 per month. That can be a little steep in the dead of winter along with all the newspaper ads that we run. Were talking over 4oo.oo per month in just advertising costs. What are your normal advertising budgets v/s customer bases?

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I'll stick to my normal response for a question like this, I know it works. Yellow Page Ad.

10. wch&g

wch&g LawnSite Member
    from MA

Plowkid what would happen if you got caught stuffing your flyers in the papers?