preparing to go to the next level

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yrlc, Sep 15, 2005.

1. yrlc

yrlc LawnSite Member

I have been mowing lawns for about 6 years part time. I have about 19 customers. I live in a small town in lower alabama and there are lot of people trying to do yard work. What are some things I need to look at to go to the next level? How can I increase my customer base? I have looked at other services that may be popular in my area. But, I'm not sure what's the most cost efficient way to survey my service area to find out what services would be most popular. I'm also interested in getting training in irrigation syst, general landscaping, and turf management. My wife is working on her doctoric and lord willing should be finished in 2 years by then I hope to be operating my company full time. Your help and encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

ced

2. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

get out and do a good job and the customers will come to you and your business will grow.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have some sort of a business plan in place? If not.. you need to start there.

Increase customer base? Advertising and being the best at what you do.. will do this.

Good luck...

4. DaveRave07

DaveRave07 LawnSite Member
    from NY

Yeah, what are your business goals? Also what type of equipment are you running?

5. yrlc

yrlc LawnSite Member

I'm currently working on my business plan. I have a sample plan I'm using to get my format. Any suggestions or help with a business plan will be appreciated.

6. yrlc

yrlc LawnSite Member

I have analysed how many customers I would need to provide for my family. I will start with one part time employee. I have listed the services I will offer and listed the services I want to add once I have the training and/or equipment. I still have to sit down with my family and look at the changes financially that we may have to make if I leave my current job to run my business full time. Are there anyother things you can think of that you encountered in the start up of your business.

I have a scag super z 18hp 48 inch cut ztr mower, my weedeater are husky, stihl, shindawa stick edger with hedge trimmer attach, stihl hedge trimmer, husky chain saw, craftsman walk behind edger, shindawa backpack blower, craftman hand blower, and a host of hand tools.