prepayment discounts

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by envi lawn, Jan 29, 2004.

1. envi lawn

envi lawn LawnSite Member

How many lawn care companies offer a pre-pay discount? I just mailed out all my 2004 proposals, and offer all my lawn clients a 10% discount on any service they prepay for.
    My question, is 10% too much?

2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW,,,,,thats way to much! unless your already hammering them on price?

2 or 3% maybe and you should make it by the quarter or half year prepayment at the minimum!

3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

5-10% is normal in this business,(fertin &squirtin) we offer 8% and around 70% of our customers pre pay,

Right from day one when I started this company I budgeted for this so its not too big of a deal.

If you collect alot of prepay you better be good at mananging your money

4. envi lawn

My residential lawns, 6,000-8,000 s.f. average $65-$80 per app.
    I add 50% for grub application (mandatory). 5 - 7 apps/yr.

One competitor offered 10%, but lowered it this year to 8%.

80% of my accounts are within 3 miles of my shop. One truck stop services 2-9 lawns, typically.

5. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

those are good numbers envi,,,,i would think you can take the 10% hit without any problem!

in florida the numbers are more like $8.00 to $9.00 per thousand so a 10% hit hurts!

6. James Cormier

from Ma

BTW...isnt it too late to be asking if 10% was too much after you sent out your renewals?

7. tennissippi

tennissippi LawnSite Member
    from zone 7b

I only offer 5% if the customer prepays. I give discounts to customers that provide referrals as well.

8. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

:blush:

9. envi lawn

I use my pre-pay money to purchase most products up front. My insurance is also due in Feb., so its nice to get the bigger expenses behind me early in the season. I show my appreciation to my customers with the 10%.
    As my prices to the consumer go up, They offset them by pre-paying.

10. James Cormier

from Ma

Envi- I checked out your website and I have a couple of questions for you if you got a minute?

1. all the pic are not there, just a white box with a red x in them Ive noticed this on just a few sites. why is that?

2. As soon as I loaded your site I was bombarded with pop ups, so I left,checked out a few different sites and then came back to yours and I was bombard again. Do you know this happens? I never took the time to really see you site cause I hate pop ups(like most people). Just thought you should know.

3. Where in central mass are you?