Prepping area for hydra seed

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by nwlandscaping, Apr 7, 2007.

1. nwlandscaping

nwlandscaping LawnSite Member

First off I just want to say how appreciative I'm of this site and to all of its helpful members. At times I've felt left in the dark, but being able to come here and clarify any uncertainty has made my job easier.

Now to my question! I recently went to examine a property and the owner is looking for the current layout (dandelions, weeds, etc.) to be replaced with hydra seed. The house is new and supposedly it has been excavated several times so the ground is reasonably soft and no longer inhabits large boulders. My question is how does one prep these grounds for topsoil, then seed? Do these weeds need to be sprayed with Crossbow then tilled into the soil? There are sprinklers already in place so we would need to avoid those. Anyways, any ideas would be cool. Thanks
  2. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Spray to kill the weeds, Roundup or something similar will do the trick, then either till up the soil if it is compacted or just grade it if it is loose. Then go ahead and hydroseed it.
  3. nwlandscaping

nwlandscaping LawnSite Member

So do I need to bother with putting down topsoil once the ground is over turned?