Preseason jitters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Jan 31, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Preseason jitters, ever get them? What I am talking about feeling that when u start the season, that maybe your customers wont want u back, or that your equiptment wont work. This of course is foolish, with my preparation and such, but I am wondering if anybody else feels this way during the winter.
  2. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

It never fails, I do this every year..I start worrying that I'll lose all of my customers to competition, my help won't be back, and I'll have equip. problems..So you're not alone..But it also never fails, I usually keep all of my customers(we lose a few every year) and usually pick up several more, my help has been with me for 3 years now, and I have almost all new equip..I think this is just human nature to worry..Some of us are worse than others..Good Luck..Derrick
  3. plow kid

plow kid Banned

just makin sure, lol

4. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

yep i sometimes feel like that to. But so far each year i keep about 90% of the Custermers from last year i think they get used to good service and dont want to try anyone new. Most of what we worry about happening bad never does.

good luck to you
  5. smithf36

smithf36 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I'm glad to see that everyone else worries about this too. I've never really lost that many accounts although it wouldn't be good!

6. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I hate to write up estimates this time of year, I always
    bid too low because we are so dead. I worry that maybe the leaf cleanup bill they paid in Dec. left them with a bad taste and they have all winter to find someone else.
    BUT I have been in business 15yrs and the customers I lose usually have died or move and I always get back more new ones.When I'm busy in the spring I price my jobs where they should be and don't take the crap yards.
  7. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

We all feel some of this.
    Things I did to lessen the worry. At the end of last season I asked on the final bill which customers would continue service. I had mowers serviced to assure they would be ready for the following season. I know from the past that I will lose 5-10% of accounts to moving etc. I also purchase replacement parts and hand held equipment at the end of the season to ready for the next season. Just a few things I do (because I am a worrier).
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This all comes from anticipation. It's sort of an anxiety trait. I'll tell you what happens to me, is I start having dreams more frequently about working. I mean ALOT! Then on that first day when the rig pulls out, I'm excitedly asking myself; "Is this real?" Does anyone else get these dreams that frequent?
  9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds stupid but I often feel like a mowing addict this time of year.

Last week I stopped into an Agway to ask for directions and had to go thru the back shop where they repaired the mowers and such. I could smell the clippings from the decks just like they had freshly cut acres upon acre. Ironically it all smelled so fresh, and I couldnt get the smell out of my nose.

That evening I went to the barn where we store our equipment to see if I could smell it there. I dont mean to sound like a junkie but I had hoped I could smell it as strongly as in the mower shop, but to my dismay could not.

I did however wake up the next morning feeling refreshed like at the end of the first day from cutting and getting the tension out of my system. I guess its just the anxiety associated with sitting idle over the winter months.

Thanks for listening - LOL
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Aroma therapy! ALmost like an aphrodisiac!