presentation

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Keegan, May 4, 2014.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I will be giving a presentation on organic lawn care to a condo board. Any thoughts of the topics I should touch on?

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Results, cost, health and environmental concerns.

Condo Boards that I have dealt with tend to be politically charged, usually one member has forced the issue of organics & the rest just want the same results at the same price as a chemical program.

Weeds will be your biggest issue as far as results. How will you handle this?

Generally organics will cost more at the beginning. If done properly, after 3 years it can cost about the same as conventional programs and less after 5 years. Make sure you account for lower irrigation costs with an organic program.

Different views on health & environmental concerns can turn into some ugly debates among board members.

3. Keegan

from CT

Posted via Mobile Device

4. Keegan

from CT

That is exactly what is happening. One lady is driving this and she won't stop until she gets what she wants.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

My best advice is to present the facts as you know them without taking sides.

6. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

Are they inviting you as an outside expert or are they asking you what your organic program can do?

If this is possible (or continued) business, I think it’s very important to set a clear, reasonable expectation for how your service will perform and be sure to spell out what you’re going to do.

If they should expect more weeds because there is no effective organic PRE herbicide, be sure to tell them that. If you apply PRE herbicides, be sure to tell them that it’s not a true organic program, just a modification of one.

I would think that the last thing you want is to leave an opportunity for them to misunderstand what you’re doing. If you don’t spell out for them that they should expect more weeds, they’ll be upset when they get them. If you run one of these organic fert programs, but still use herbicides, be sure to tell them that, or they’ll be upset when they see on the invoice that you’ve been using herbicides.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If you get the job--just be ready to offer a modified program when the weeds get bad and she gets pressured by other members to do something about the weeds.

Have in mind a low toxicity, no odor product that you can spot spray in the fall when everyone is inside anyway. Spot spraying uses a hundred times less product. Triclopyr and carfentrazone both have favorable environmental and toxicity profiles. Weed-B-Gone is more toxic.

8. txlnd

txlnd LawnSite Member

That Organic Turf doesn't make you itch