preserving the relationship of clients--they seed -----i aeravate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Oct 2, 2002.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

with the water restrictions in N.J. we can't water.(
    i feel that (and i say i feel)it is not fair to the client that i push most cases most of them need it...but how can i provide a service like seeding and tell them that they can't water which you know the only way it will work is to water...i feel that it is a sure way to loose a client....
    also the ground is so dry that i can't pull a core with the aerator..

so this is what i did and it worked...

all the lawns need clients know that.

i proposed to them that i would do the aeravation(aeravation do to the dry soils)and they do the seeding and most of them went for it...they know they needed aeration and the only thing other then areation that they have invested in is the seed...
    it works well with aeravation---they broadcast seed at 1/2 rate then i aeravate then they broadcast the other 1/2 of seed..

what do you guys think? with the drought restrictions in n.j. it's only fair. AND IT PRESERVES THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ME AND THE CLIENT..

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Im a little confused. Why seed at all?? What is the difference if they seed vs. you seed. They still will be not allowed to water, right ? Shouldnt you wait until conditions improve??
  3. Just truck the water in from out of state. That should solve your problem.
  4. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Im with KenH on this one why seed anyway?With no water it shouldnt matter who seeds its prbably not going to germinate!just my oppinon
  5. ant

they are going to have me aerate they might as well seed..
    if we as contractors would seed ,you guys know the going rate$25.00-$45.00 per/m AND WITH OUT WATER IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK OUT..10,000 sf lawn will run 250.00 to aer and seed versus 100.00-150.00 to just aer. i think you will have a unhappy client if they paid and extra $100-$150 for us to seed and onle see 10%-15% results...think about it i am fracturing the soil profile by aeravating so why wouldnt they invest $50-$70 on seed and seed's better then not at all.
  6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

"think about it i am fracturing the soil profile by aeravating so why wouldnt they invest $50-$70 on seed and seed's better then not at all.

My question is why even bother right now?? The reason to do this is to allow water, air, fert to penetrate to the root system, but if there is going to be no water, what is the point?? You will be putting the lawns through additional stress where they wont have the water needed to recover. JMO.
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Well this logic makes no since to me anyway. Makes no difference who applies the seed. Also, why have them pay retail for seed $70 per 50 pounds for Lesco blend here when you can buy it for $36? Heck, if you tell them you will apply the seed for exactly what they would pay you would still be making $34 per bag and the customer would break even without lifting a finger. The way you are doing it now the retail store is the one making out the best.

PS: I have been aeravating for weeks with water restrictions, we have had decent rainfall and the lawns look great. If I had done nothing at all well....

Funny...the same people who will go to Vegas and blow hundreds are not willing to take a chance on their lawn. I give them the option and most take the chance, so far it has paid off (about 100 aeravations this fall).
  8. ant

guys,i see your points..

we are not alowed to water AT ALL.except new construction..
  9. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Im in the same boat you are and wondering how best to handle it. Some of the lawns took a beating there is no doubt about that and without water the seed is going to die if not rot. The heavy morning dew may be enough to keep the soil most and get seed up and growing. And even 40% germination is better then just letting these lawns go to chickweed and crabgrass come next spring.

Another option Im considering is dormant overseeding. Waiting until late November to due some overseeding. This seed will not germinate this year but will come up next spring, when hopefully we get our normal spring rains fill in some of these bare areas. The only downside is that you cant do your normal pre-emergent application on the seeded areas and tupersan sucks as a crabgrass control.

Third option, Ive given up on is Spring seeding. Have never had success with getting seed well established in spring planting. With the spring rush, it never seems to get done before early May and then summer hits and boom its a dead duck. The difference here vs dormant overseeding is that that is already down and ready grow when soil temps perk up and I dont have to squeeze it into my schedule.

BTW--what do u think of that Torricelli/Lautenberg flipflop
  10. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Back in early September I would have said the same thing about not wanting to aerate or seed.

However once October arrives the heavy morning dew will soften the ground, and provide plenty of moisture for the new seed. Grass is growing like it was spring here in central MD.

Do you not get dew like we do in central Maryland?