1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

preserving the wood floors in open trailers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, Dec 12, 2000.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

does anybody do anything to preserve the life of the wood floor in their trailer?

mine stays outside in the weather year round and every couple of years I paint it with an enamel paint. unfortunately, I scrape the paint away while doing mulch jobs.

I wonder if spraying the wood with Thompsons a couple of times a year would be better than the paint.

the wood is pressure treated and still in good shape, but when it starts to weather, it seems to go quickly.

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Except for the winter months, my trailer stays indoors while not being used. I also thought about treating the flooring, but never got around to doing it. Triton trailers have a liftime guarentee on the decking. They use a marine grade plywood.
  3. Alan

Alan Member

I build my own trailers and use rough sawn oak for the floors. Before I put the floor on I cut the boards to length, then soak in all the linseed oil they will accept, with special attention to the endgrain. After the first coat has dried I apply a second coat to what will be the bottom of the boards and screw then down, the swab a second coat on the top. Seems to work ok, and not "waxy" like waterseal stuff is. Recoat once a year when the floor is good and dry (and I remember to do it).
  4. The tompson water seal is pretty good at sealing, but can get slippery when wet. At least the tompson sealer is easy to apply. You can use a regular garden pump to apply.(spray) We use the sealer on all wood on trailers.
  5. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

We put thompsons on last year and it has worked great. Now that we've bought the shop it will be inside all year round. BUt the Thompsons worked great, we did both top and bottom.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

i am about to replace my boards after only 4 years i was thinking of useing thompsonson treated wood and top coating
    with duros roll on bed liner... what do ya'll think..
  7. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

I think when I redo my trailer I'll look at that fake decking stuff for home decks.As long as its strong enough it will last a long time.
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I had to replace my boards on my '93 trailer after 3 years. They were regular pine 2x8's. Rotted real quick. I replaced them in '96 with pressure treated and they look like new still to this day. It wasn't cheap, but well worth it. No signs of rotting, I would guess they will last at least 10 yrs or until the trailer rusts out beneath it!

9. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

Attn: Mike Paulsen

I built a deck this summer with the plastic (fake) wood. It is heavy! Covering the whole floor will really add weight to your trailer.
  10. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I am a big fan of linseed oil on wood floors. The biggest thing i can think of is to thin it 1/2 oil, 1/2 thinner and do it in the sun on a warm day. go light and let it sink in and do a couple of coats. I will outperform any thompsons or the like. I have 72 chevy pickup with the original wood floor, the slats have been replaced but the floor is like new. When we got the truck we sanded off the paint and treated with the oil. we then treated it about every other year after that. The truck was used a lot till about 3 years ago. But the lesson is the floor lasted because of the oil. Makes the wood like iron and it does not rot. Any more Questions just ask me.