Pressing in bushings .... KAWASAKI

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PicturePerfectLawns, Aug 31, 2014.

1. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Does anyone have any suggestions on pressing in the bushings on a Kawasaki 680V? Any tips and tricks? First set cracked trying to get them in. I lubed them. Was told my a Kawasaki mechanic to freeze them. Has anyone heard of this or have any other tricks before I get the new set in the mail. They are over-nighted and will be here Wednesday morning. Also does anyone have an experience with how much machine shops charge to press these things in?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea. Freeze inside bushings or races all the time. At least 12 hrs before install.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. PicturePerfectLawns

Got you. That's probably where things went wrong. :hammerhead:

4. dieselss

Well that's not a super common practice so I don't necessarily blame you. Good luck with the 2nd go around
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. PicturePerfectLawns

Gotcha. So I'm assuming a machine shop would have something to do this much easier without me having to risk breaking them again. If so how much should I expect to pay for this? Someone told me $10. bucks, don't know how true that is. Bummer it's on holiday weekend too!

6. dieselss

That I'm not sure about
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. PicturePerfectLawns

Gotcha. Appreciate that help. Hopefully all goes well this week. I'll update this post Wed. or Thursday. :weightlifter:

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Heating the part helps too. A torch or even a home oven helps. Just a few hundred degrees helps expand it enough to avoid cracking. I bought am old roaster that fits most castings and blocks at a garage sale for ten bucks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. PicturePerfectLawns

So I should be good heating it also? Heating sounds more feasible because I'm trying to get this thing back up and running it's costing me $$ per day now. I already bit my butt on these bushings. Cost me $60.00 for another pair, over-nighted that is. If I only had them in now, I'd have the whole day off tomm. to put them in and get it back together. Got them over-nighted though, will ship Tuesday, and be here Wednesday.

10. dieselss

Heating the housing not the bushing. Still freeze the bushing
    Posted via Mobile Device