1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pressure and GPM - Designing System

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jbell36, Sep 24, 2012.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

i'll try to make this short...if you have a 5/8 meter with 50 psi on one side of town and a 5/8 meter with 90 psi on the other side of town are you able to put more heads on the 90 psi even though the meter is only 'rated' for what, 12-15 GPM?

2. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Pulling too much water through a meter can "knock" it out of calibration. Obviously higher friction loss through the meter and pipe to and from, which would result in a lower dynamic.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

There are several flow-capacity standards for what you see as a 5/8 meter. The old standard was 20 gpm as maximum flow. Those meters are increasingly less common. A modern variation is a 5/8-3/4 meter, with the 30 gpm max flow rating for a 3/4 meter in the 5/8 package.

4. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

It would prob be safe to run 4 rotors per zone at 50 psi and 6 rotors at 90 psi. Using 2, 2.5, and 3 gpm nozzles depending on rotor radius. And if it hit the fan, you have room to nozzle down.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. muddywater

I have flow tested a 5/8s meter to push 30 gpm with 100psi. I could run 12 rotors at once(didnt put that many on a zone but it would push all of them)
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I know you are using a good flow meter but how and where are you making your test connection?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. muddywater

I tapped about 1' after the meter. Can't remember if I had the backflow on at that time or if it was before I put the backflow in. I posted a thread about a year ago, and Kirl said I should have had about 20' of pipe after the flow meter to get a more accurate number, but I think it was close. It would push 12 5004 rotors with average 2.5 gpm nozzles.

This was the first house in the neighborhood, so it was probably a lonely water main.

8. muddywater

Well dug up those pics. Looks like it read 49gpm which sounds a little high. I know it probably had 60 psi dynamic pressure(visual guesstimate) with 12 heads running.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Love those fuzzy, upside down/ sideways pics. :dizzy:

10. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Or you can use the three variable equation. haha I kid I kid.

I have in fact passed this super secret equation on to another member though. They now hold the holy grail.