Pressure drop question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ed G, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

Long story short...

I am one of those dreaded home owners. I am in process of having a pool built and re-connecting and tweaking my irrigation system. Have read thru and completed Jess Stryker's tutorials and have had Rainbird Design Service design a system for me.

I have had estimates from irrigation pros who want to charge me $600 to $1400 to reconnect my system (including $275 for a Rainbird ESP-4MI with only one module). I'm ready to tackle the task.

My question is...how do you design for a daily pressure drop?

I live in the Orlando, Fl area and during the winter months is when most people water their lawns. There are times that so many people are watering at once, that the water pressure inside my home is nearly gone. Showering is sometimes an impossible task. A 1/4 diameter stream of water comes from the kitchen sink.

My static pressure is 65, 5/8" meter, my 1" pvc sprinkler mainline POC is within 6" of the meter and I estimate 10-12 GPM (on a good day and during the summer months).

Thanks

Ed Geary
    Clermont, Fl

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You might have better luck disconnecting the system from the city water, then driving a well point and using ground water to run the system.

3. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

unfortunately county code states wells have to be within a specific distance from each other. Neighbors around me, who built their houses a few years befor mine, have the wells.

Another reason I would want to stay away from using Florida well water is that it has a high iron content and it stains everything that it comes in contact with. Many houses, driveways and fences look like they are rusting.

4. Wet_Boots

True enough about the iron, although there are neutralizing chemicals that can be fed into the sprinkling water to eliminate the staining. At some point, I could see most of Florida going to secondary watering supplies for the sprinkling. Folks with extra space can set up a pressure tank or two, and a booster pump, and maintain water pressure in their homes.

5. DeepRoots

DeepRoots LawnSite Member

My static pressure is 65, 5/8" meter, my 1" pvc sprinkler mainline POC is within 6" of the meter and I estimate 10-12 GPM

Ed,
    I often see the same setup here... 5/8'' meter, 1inch main
    If you can upsize the meter that often helps. Otherwise try scheduling the irrigation to run at a better time. I know here 5-8pm is a heavy water use time. Obviously best to water before sunup but most people like to see it running, etc

drew

6. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

can anything be done thru changing nozzles?

Usually I get green circles about 20 feet and 12" from the rotary sprinkler with brown grass in between.

7. Wet_Boots

Exactly what sprinklers, and what nozzles are currently in place?

8. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

currently in place are Hunter Rotary sprinklers. I have no idea what valves are installed.

Given the current installation (heads are connected directly to pvc elbows), contractor most likely never used anything but the pre-installed valve.

I am replacing all heads with new Hunter PGP rotaries. I planned to select nozzle according to angle of rotation (for example #3 for 90 degree, #5 for 180 and #7 for the 360's).

also replacing valves with the Hunter PGV 1" jar top valves and replacing controller with a Rainbird ESP-4MI.

Back yard will be going from 4 zones to 7 zones.

One side of front yard is covered with Hunter 4" pop-up sprinklers. Never an issue of pressure drop off. Grass always looks great there.

9. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

sorry, I meant pre-installed nozzle. Not pre-installed valve.

10. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

If you are putting in all Hunter why not put in a Hunter clock?? Pro-C is comp to the ESP-4MI or even a SRC which I think are both good clocks. Don't get me wrong the ESP is a good clock but a bit more expensive.