1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pressure for blowouts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cjohn2000, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

You moved to a company that used tow behind compressors to a company that uses roofing air compressors ? I wouldnt change jobs again the next company may use a bike pump.
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Which I preferred for backflow assemblies; seven psi is all you need.
  3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I use a football pump , easy to carry up with the hose
  4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Good for you, I never trusted putting serious air through a backflow assembly because of the possibility of melting/warping the check retainers.
  5. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Then your really gonna not like this, at my former company I was taught to open all the testcocks and blow air through them with the compressor, but most of them didnt get tested anyway. The cool thing is I get to suggest what we do next year, so I just have to get through this year with the roofing compressor. Funny thing is the guy I am replacing had it set to 120. I think I will stick to the philosophy that less is better as long as the job gets done. Nothing like popping a manifold by a menu board in a drive thru because the new hire isn't paying attention.:hammerhead:
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What's being used for the air hose? (ID and length) It might reflect on the high pressure setting.
  7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Yov're prolly not gonna like this but if their SOP has been to use the roofing compressor you prolly wont change their minds.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

what he said
  9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I had a cold call yesterday, and the guy needs us to blow out the system, and fix the PVB. Seems he used his home air compressor, cranked the pressure, and blew the bonnet and poppet right out of the PVB. It could have very well already been old or weakened, but still.........
  10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

The power of televison or the internet, go figure.........
    Posted via Mobile Device