1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pressure for blowouts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cjohn2000, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

When I only had testcock access to connect the air, I sometimes had to amp up the pressure to get enough air input to raise and seal the PVB poppet.

2. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

At my old job 1" air line up to 75' and we blew out some 2" dblchks through the #4 testcock. New job one of those skinny air hoses probably 25'.

3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

That is over kill I use 1/4 blank drip tube. It works fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

That would explain the high pressure, since the air hose takes it away. If all your systems are small, a small air supply would get things done (eventually)

Do you have to schlep the compressor out of the van/truck and roll it up to a connection point?

5. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

Too funny...I still use a Sears Craftsman 30 gallon air compressor @ a SCFM 90 psi: 5.1 SCFM. Always works fine for my 3,000 feet of pipe in my yard. Longest main is 500+ ft long @ 1.250 inch dia...

Point is, most blowouts are a money maker for a biz (go figure and should be). And yes I am was in the Biz and do it on the side for people...

6. cjohn2000

Most of the time I can pull up near it and run the skinny hose to the backflow. I have had to unload it only a couple of times. Next year we will have a tow behind. I have been running it at about 75 to 90 and sometimes I have to stop to let the compressor catch up PITA.

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

well the down fall to the tow behind is that you are paid by the hour , so now it takes so long with the little toy compressor , with the tow behind you will be on unemployment that much sooner

8. cjohn2000

unemployment? lol, I just put in 9 hours today, I have been doing blow outs outside of what we normally do, One here one there.

9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

how many blowouts are you doing a day with the little compressor? How long to do each ?

10. cjohn2000

It depends most of the time I do one at the end of the day. Alot of them I have to call and schedule to get access to the controller in the garage. Usually 8 per day but that the leftovers that are scattered about between cities. As far as time it takes longer because sometimes I will shut the zone off to build a little more pressure or wait for a minute between zones. Tow behinds rule!!!