Pressure for blowouts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cjohn2000, Nov 1, 2012.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

I wish I could do 8 in a day

Right now i'm typically doing 18-20 per day which is 30 min a job. Mainly resi ranging typically from cookie cutter systems to 2 acre lots. On the bigger 15-25 zone resi systems I just start at zone 1 with the controller working forwards and then use the station master on the last zone working backwords. On neighbors I double up the systems with 1-3 min run time per zone.

I can only imagine the profit my boss is making as we are doing just about 100 jobs a day with full force of almost a month left of winterizing

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

That's a lot of overhead he's got going, so don't be too hard on him, he seems like a nice guy. Winterize got us through the lean months when we had not a hell of a lot to do.

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

BTDT, with a couple different irrigation companies. Too many to do it right. :hammerhead:

4. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

just finished today. was in jersey city. winterized 3 systems across 2 buildings. took a total of 7 hours from the yard back to the yard. zone total was 13. i bet the compressor ran for less than 45 minutes, but the set up and breakdown take forever. sometimes things just take time.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

When we started to get enough clients to efficiently make winterize a big part of the biz, RB 33DL quick-couple valves became a part of the install, and re-build clients got one, as well. With the same key on the compressor hose, as well as a remote pigtail,winterize became quick and profitable. :clapping:

6. irritation

Never cared for quick couplers for blow outs. I prefer a plug or even a boiler drain so I can leave it open if the shut off has a drip or someone turns it on before its time.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You can easily pass 100+ cfm through a boiler drain, especially the old-school ones

8. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Senior Member

i try to streamline the connection as much as possible. got down to hose bib (which i usually remove due to restriction), 1" female, or 3/4" female.

then just a few oddballs, to which making a proper connection is too costly.

i prefer the 3/4 or 1" thread.

9. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah something that has to be done, fairly easy money. Talked to my boss about testing backflows to stay busy.

We had a site that had the monster RB quick couple, key "7K"?, Anyway you could push some air through that

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  10. irritation

He's having you use a pissy compressor to blow irrigation systems.
    Do you think he will pay for your backflow classes and test kit?