Pressure for blowouts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cjohn2000, Nov 1, 2012.

1. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

We got four lawn crews to do that. More like hardscapes and lighting in my future

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

2 serious questions Z.

what'd you tow the 900 with? All of the 500cfms i have been around were truck mounted for ease of travel. Hauling or towing one here requires a cdl.

How do you design a system around a compressor for blowouts? I thought a design was based on hydraulics.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. zimmatic

zimmatic LawnSite Senior Member

I used a f350. The compressor was on a 3 axle trailer with brakes.

Installed heavier walled pvc pipe Class 200 for main line vs 160. along with multiple isolation valves.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

160, as in PVC, or 160, as in poly?

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Living in the state of jefferson i had never heard of blow outs and i really don't understand them completely. I understand that there is a poc for the hose but where do you decide to connect to on a cold call? Indication of when its done? Is everything regional?

Like every other thread i have read, i should be able to tred water long enough to get a grasp.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. cjohn2000

Depends usually I will poke around the doublecheck for an iso or a quick coupler. Other than that #4 testcock. On larger systems we cut in a nipple with a cap. As far as when its done I look for last head spewing water wait for a single puff and on to the next. Pretty easy, as well as surprising, to tell how the pipe is generally routed.

7. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

That wouldn't fly in the residential world. Typically I wait until it stops spitting water. This is all still within a general 1-3 min per zone time frame

8. cjohn2000

Depends on what the rest of the zone is doing. But what I mentioned is frustrating on long runs fed from one end especially when its clogged (should have been put out of its misery) bed heads on crooked riser pipes

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You don't want a "dry blow", a misting means "done". When I first started, my teacher taught me to burp the zones once more, but, over the years, I found no reason if the system was winterized correctly.

10. cjohn2000

Especially with water lubricated gear driven rotors. Never seen one fail after blow out.