Pressure is on

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason, Jul 21, 2000.

1. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

During lunch break at my regular job, my truck spit a rod. Really makes things interesting now. Customers backed up for one day while I try to track down another truck to use. Plus gotta find another motor. <p>Maybe I could leave the Lazer at home, jam the 21 in the trunk of my car. If I go that route, I'm definetly not wearing my company uniform. :)<p>To top it all off my trimmer is still in the shop. They had to backorder a gasket. Hopefully will be fixed tomorrow. But somehow got to juggle a 2.5 acre job, a 2 acre job and a 10,000 sq ft job. Plus run 80 miles round trip for the trimmer. And pull an engine. <p>And whoever said self-employment isn't a lot of fun? :)
  2. Alan

Alan Member

What are you running for a truck? Chevy engines are cheap if that's what it is.
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Jason, I can only wish you the best about the truck, cause $hit happens. BUT, as for the trimmer.......this should be a good lesson for you to have a backup!!!!!<p>Hope you get caught up!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  4. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Jason, Try hiring a ute(truck) and a trimmer<br>from a local rental company.It may not be very cost effective,but at least you won't<br>have to let your customers down.<p>Karl<br>
  5. Jason

Feeling a bit better today. A friend of mine is a roofer, he's got a truck for me to use. But parts still not in yet on my trimmer. Been a week waiting on it.<p>I do have a backup trimmer. Just isn't as productive or much fun to run. It's a old homeowner curved shaft Stihl.<p>Nope not a chevy. Truck is a '78 Ford F250. Motor is a '69 460. Really looking forward to pulling it outside. Wish I had a shop.<p>Customers are my first priority, and this is first time I haven't got them done on schedule. I've talked to all of them and they understand, and are fine with being a day or two behind. :)<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: jason
  6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

this exactly why i hust spent all that money on a brand new truck! I am mostly a solo operater... if my truck goes down i cant work. your truck is you most important peice of equipment you have so spending all the money for a new one is well worth all the peice of mind it brings.
  7. Jason

Good point Evan. Maybe next year I'll be able to get something newer. I'd love a newer Powerstroke. My old Ford is in pretty good shape. New tranny, new rearend, and hopefully a new engine by tuesday. It's pretty with new paint, tinted glass, aluminum wheels, etc.. But looking pretty does me no good when it's immoblie. :)
  8. Alan

Alan Member

Nice that you can find a replacement engine so quickly. 460s are in short supply up here. I just junked one last fall, ran ok but had a bad rear main seal and the truck was falling apart around it. And the geniuses at Ford made it so that the only thing that fits is another 460 or either a 428 or 429, can't remember just which. No matter what else, ya gotta give Gm high marks for making things interchangeable.
  9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Wish I could help ya. I have 302 and 51 stuff out the ass and what I don't have, i know where I can find it. How much are you willing to spend on a short block? Give me some dollar figure and I will see if I can locate you something in your area.
  10. My truck was down for a day this spring due to bad water pump.<p>I just loaded one mower on my trailer and<br>used my girls 1989 Dakota sport 4 x 4 V6 5 speed.<p>The power of that V6 is great. I can't<br>wait for it to blow up so I can get it and<br>install a 318 with a 4 sp auto.<br>