Pressure loss in one zone...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cahermit, May 15, 2007.

1. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

I have a client with their front yard split into 2 zones.
    One zone is functioning just fine. The other zone has a lack of pressure, causing the spray heads to not rise completely, which I had figured out to be a bust on the outer edge due to roots. So I fixed the break, but it didn't fix the problem. There are no soggy or especially green patches, so I'm not too sure that it's another break.
    Am I wrong in assuming that the problem is either another break in the line, or a clogged valve? This zone has less heads than the functioning zone, but I was also concerned because whoever installed the system used a bunch of funky nozzles, putting 180's where there should be 90s, etc... If I changed these nozzles out to the appropriate spray patterns, could this make that much of a pressure change? I wouldn't think so, but that might also be the plm...
    Thx.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Is this system something you just took on, or have you seen it work before?

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I think you got my drift..it mite never have worked..before you tear into the
    valve & after you've checked for a iso valve (doubtfull on a small system),
    turn the flow controls down one by one to increase the psi...check the wiper
    seals for flow-by. We finally had custom blank nozzles made to check system
    operation, all should have a few in service truck.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Without seeing the system here's just another guess: Put the correct nozzles in and then check and see (listen) if the valve diaphragm is opening fully.

5. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

ya I've seen it work before.
    I wasn't sure if they had those blank nozzles to check system pressure, but I had thought of that and intended on inventing them if they didn't exist... :)
    I will certainly need to switch out the nozzles. I don't understand how idiots can do such stupid things. But then again, another idiot amazes me every day.
    Thanks for the replies and when I get it fixed I'll post here with what it was...

6. Really simple and not probably thought of, on the problem zone, close off the flow adjuster on all the spray head. If you have a broken nipple,pipe somewhere in the system, it should make it manifest itself.

What brand is the body of sprays? Toro, watermaster\orbit,rain bird...

7. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

I think they're all crappy toros...

8. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

So, I fixed the problem, I simply turned on the valve for the zone, turned off all of the spray heads (using the screw :) ), and walked the lawn until I noticed the flow of a leak. Fixed it, tested it. All is well.