Pressure Reducer question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by rockee, Jul 7, 2008.

1. rockee

rockee LawnSite Member

I had plumber install backflow preventer outside and when water pressure was measured it was 85. He suggested putting in a pressure reducer inside after where water line splits for sprinkler system. Reduce can be adjusted to 25-75 psi. Was this a mistake? should I have stayed with 85 and pressure drop would come down when got to heads? Since I'm putting in many feet of drip, I assumed that a pressure reducer was a good idea. I shaving this large one in-line better than the smaller ones at the zones?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You don't need a pressure reducer. 85 psi won't damage anything, and a PRV can screw up your system performance, since it has a pressure loss above and beyond what it takes away when the pressure reduction happens. For the drip zone, you can install an inline regulator, in combination with the strainer the drip zone usually gets.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto city..We kill for that kind of pressure.

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

ummmm85 psi..

5. Mike Leary

Truck with the big boys.

6. rockee

rockee LawnSite Member

Oh, well. Did I make a mistake? Should I take it out? It is a somewhat expensive valve.

7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i'd take it out, when I install a well powered system we shoot for 70 psi, that's where all the magic happens.

8. rockee

rockee LawnSite Member

My main is 1" from the inside to the outside. With that size pipe, I still don't need pressure reducer?

Wondering if plumber took advantage or really thought I needed to reduce pressure.

9. Mike Leary

Netafim is good to 60psi, I've proved it . Magic works at 70 to 80 psi.

10. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

You got gotten.