Pressure reduction for drip?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Mar 8, 2005.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I will be using dripline with built in emitters for my shrubs etc.. Will this dripline operate under the same pressure as rotors and sprays or do I need to reduce the pressure before the dripline?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hi jcom------

Yes, you do need pressure reduction--and a filter. Rainbird has a kit that includes the pressure reduction and filter together, along with a valve (low-flow). Or can be bought seperately. Should be able to get more info at Rainbird web-site. You can get different size valves and different size micron filters.

Drip componets are usually designed to operate at lower pressures, say 30 p.s.i. They must be filtered, to keep the emitters from getting clogged, over time. Probably wouldn't hurt (recommended) to have a way to flush the drip line out, periodically, by installing a flush valve, or flush cap, at the end of the line. Rainbird also makes an air-relief valve kit, too. Hope this helps--
    see ya--

3. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. You are all an invaluable asset.

John

4. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto.
    Buy the kit. I don't use Rainbird drip but use Netafim. They also sell a kit with filter and built in Pressure reducer. I usually get the high flow kit to make sure there are no problems with elevation variations.

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

By the way John, there are a variety of components that you can use on a "drip system". You may want to consider micro spray emitters if your soil is really porous, sandy or rocky. In porous soil you will find that drip systems are not too efficient in distributing water in the horizontal direction, or X-axis. What can happen is that part of a shrubs roots will get some water while other parts will remain dry, but... adding additional drip emitters per shrub will help.

6. AssuredServicesCo

AssuredServicesCo LawnSite Member

Remember with drip your flow rate is gallons per hour rather than gallons per minute.