pressure washer recommendations

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by EZTarget, Jun 13, 2004.

1. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

anyone have the opinions on the Excell pressure washer from home depot? i am looking to get one for the house - deck, fence, pool deck etc.

it is 6.5hp B&S, 2500psi for about 299.00

just wondering if it is a decent buy.
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Look for one with a Honda engine and at least 3000psi. You'll be glad you did.
  3. Pher16

Pher16 LawnSite Member
    from CT

As with a lot of items from Home Depot, just because it has a honda motor does not mean it is a good buy. Does not hurt, but the motor should far outlast the pump.

The biggest thing with pressure washers is making sure you have a good pump. The model you are looking at does NOT have a good pump on it. You will be much better off buying the next or two models up, not for the PSI increase, but for the industrial pump. I think it actually goes for double what you are looking for, but it depends on how often you will use it. You get what you pay for.

By the way, you do not need 3000 psi to do the jobs you are looking to do. If you want it to last, buy a model with a better pump. Just my 2 cents, and I can say it with confidence because I just replaced my pump this year ($335) and I have a 10 horse 3500 psi machine.
  4. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have gone through alot of different pressure washers in the past 15 years, I have found that the engine and the pump matters most. The engine, Honda GX type OHV and the two best pumps on the market today are Comet and Cat. For around the home 1500 to 2500 psi should do the trick, 3000 to 3500 psi well cover any job needs to be done. An adjustable type nozzle works well from 0 degree to 45 degree spray works or get quick attached nozzles. Shop around and compare the brands and models. Hope this helps.
  5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Just bought one from the depot.............
    2600psi,2.5 gpm,5 horse honda,it was $417+ tax.
    It is a definite step up from the one you are talking about,take a look at it and I think you will agree.
    It will do what you need around the house and then some,I plan on making it pay for itself with a few jobs here and there.
  6. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

thanks and thanks for everyone elses input. i will try but not sure my wife's budget will cover this for Father's Day. i guess i will have to give that Xtra effort this week! :blob2:
  7. Pher16

Pher16 LawnSite Member
    from CT

Cat Pumps are very good, comet pumps are hit or miss. The better units will have a cat pump or an Annovi Reverberi pump, but you won't find those at Home depot.

Check for some decent deals on pressure washers or do a search on google for other sites. Home depot is for home owner convenience and does not necessarily offer the best stuff for the prices. Don't be misled by a pressure washer that has 2500 or 2600 psi, with a good pump and motor they will out perform a cheaper higher psi model.

From my own experience, an adjustable nozzle on the wand is much better than the quick disconnect tips. I have owned a painting business for the past 5 years and after using both, the adjustable nozzle is MUCH more convenient to use and can save a ton of time on a job. Believe it or not, the quick change tips are more expensive but more of a pain in the a$$.
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

True enough words concerning the depot,however after about two weeks of looking around on the web and other dealers my conclusion was that for the price I would buy at home depot.
    the $400 price range won't buy much more than what they have and it was more convenient for me. I don't plan on using it commercially just enough to pay for it as I have done with other pieces of equipment which I own and someone else has paid for so I can maintain my own house a bit easier. Just my ramblings once again.
  9. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Never go with the briggs and straton. THey are the worst.. deff. go with honda..
  10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have a BJ's, Costco or Sam's Club near you? I bought a Karcher from BJ's. I think it has a 5.0 honda and it's own Karcher pump. I don't know if it measures up to the standards of the fellows that have posted here but I think it works very well. The price was right @ $299. Check it out.