Lawn Care Forum banner

Preston Lawnscapes LLC

163K views 577 replies 54 participants last post by  Pressedun 
#1 ·
Decided to split my work pictures and my equipment pictures so this thread will be dedicated to work photos.

#153 ·
Wow what a difference very nice work, yeah that stone/mulch integration is very popular around here

#155 ·
Looks awesome travis! The stone makes the mulch pop out!
Posted via Mobile Device

#157 ·
Here are some before pictures of a job I started today...

Details are...

Turning this 25'x25' area into a garden but only up to the planting stage... Beds will be going around the entire perimeter with some sod in the middle and a small stepping stone walkway. Used a Dingo today to remove around 6-8 inches of material (mostly driveway gravel and large stones) and will be adding in around 10 yards of topsoil for now and maybe more later after the soil compresses. Exciting project and the first time I've used a Dingo, neat little machines and easy to use!

#159 ·
Hi Guys,

I landscape up in the Vancouver area of Canada and enjoy seeing what other guys are doing around North America.

We do maintenance as well as installations and I was curious about the river rock perimeter along the turf edges of the bedding renovations you been showing us. From a maintenance perspective, would it be better to put a discrete edging between the rock and the turf so the turf won't "creep" into the rock? I've been using a flexible, black vinyl edging for many years that takes edging the turf along bedding completely out of the maintenance equation.

Just thought I'd ask. Love the pics and your customers are obviously getting a good product for their money!

Cheers,

Barry
www.terraeffects.ca

#160 ·
Hi Guys,

I landscape up in the Vancouver area of Canada and enjoy seeing what other guys are doing around North America.

We do maintenance as well as installations and I was curious about the river rock perimeter along the turf edges of the bedding renovations you been showing us. From a maintenance perspective, would it be better to put a discrete edging between the rock and the turf so the turf won't "creep" into the rock? I've been using a flexible, black vinyl edging for many years that takes edging the turf along bedding completely out of the maintenance equation.

Just thought I'd ask. Love the pics and your customers are obviously getting a good product for their money!

Cheers,

Barry
www.terraeffects.ca
Thanks Barry for the comments!

As I look back I do see an actual trenched edge between the rock and turf might be a better idea however I haven't had a problem with the turf creeping yet. I'm able to line trim the edge so it stays crisp.

I don't use black plastic edging as I think it looks cheap and tacky. Its either the stone edging or a natural turf edge.
Posted via Mobile Device

#161 ·
Nice work! I too like the rock/mulch mix. Have a few locations that I have suggested HO's do this, but no takers yet. How much if any is the markup (that you personally do) on installing the rock as compared to mulch? Not looking for specifics, but I would assume it costs the HO a little more.

#162 ·
I know the product you're thinking of and I agree that if the edging isn't installed correctly it can look bad. When we do it you can't even tell it's there, unless you walk right up to it and look down on it directly. There is no top bead. On the sites where I've implemented the edging, my man hours for trimming have been "trimmed" by 60%.

Keep up the good work!

#163 ·
I know the product you're thinking of and I agree that if the edging isn't installed correctly it can look bad. When we do it you can't even tell it's there, unless you walk right up to it and look down on it directly. There is no top bead. On the sites where I've implemented the edging, my man hours for trimming have been "trimmed" by 60%.

Keep up the good work!
Ahh ok, that probably looks good too but I personally like the natural edge... to each his own!

#164 ·
Here are the after shots from the pictures I posted yesterday...

Natural walkway is what she wanted, no gravel or sand or anything so that's what she got. I also did not put the plants where they are and will not be doing the mulch/planting for her. All I really did was the brunt of the labor by removing 6-8 inches of gravel and adding topsoil with the walkway and sod... The edge I made wasn't up to my usual par but it'll have to do for now.

#165 ·
Nice work! I too like the rock/mulch mix. Have a few locations that I have suggested HO's do this, but no takers yet. How much if any is the markup (that you personally do) on installing the rock as compared to mulch? Not looking for specifics, but I would assume it costs the HO a little more.
Thanks man and I love the green/light stone/dark mulch contrast, it really stands out and if your edge is good then it really pops and looks nice!

I don't markup anything, I have an hourly rate and I stick to it unless it's absolutely back breaking... the only thing I do is the small 10% discount I get from the suppliers I do not pass on to the consumer.

#168 ·
Thanks Corby... like water features and such? She actually has a pond on her property which is pretty neat... Wish I knew how to do water features!
Nice ....but why did she want a privacy fence so small ??? (30x30) ??

#169 ·
Nice ....but why did she want a privacy fence so small ??? (30x30) ??
It's for the dog even though the dog is a Golden Retriever... way too small of an area for the dog (it's only 25x25 with barely any grass). She's not exactly doing everything in a smart order or anything but hey... they don't want to hear what I would do if I owned the house.

#170 ·
Man, been a month and a half since I've done some pictures... here are some before and after pictures of part of a job today!

That might be all of the mulch jobs for this year... don't have any other bed renovations or anything major lined up.

Probably will have leaf pictures here in the next few months!

#171 ·
looking good travis! (as always). that isnt a plan off of middle road is it?

#174 ·
Nice Travis ..... Next season you'll do around the house ....that is a nasty hill in the front yard.
Yep if he doesn't sell the house first (since meeting him a divorce process has started...)

I crap you not, it's about a 45 degree hill or steeper so it won't be fun to edge or push wheel barrows around on it.

Did a lot of weed pulling, shrub pruning and tree pruning elsewhere so hopefully I keep this one for mulch in the spring and probably more bed renovations.
Posted via Mobile Device

#176 ·
Thanks Tim and that was the goal for sure. I like symmetry along with low maintenance and varying colors, most clients like that as well. Edge looks a bit off in the pics but I promise the edge is good, bowed it out on the birch which is how I think edges should flow.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.