Pretty amazing

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by TerraFirma Excavating, Aug 7, 2005.

1. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

I found this link on another forum I visit. It is a pretty amazing machine, but page 13 is where it gets real unbelievable. It's a .pdf file. Where's my dozer?

2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Yeah, when they were moving it across Germany one time, it nearly got stuck in some mud... (according to the History Channel, anyhow).

Poor Cat... I guess not all Cats have nine lives.

Okay that was lame. *runs away*

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I really hope there was nobody in it when it got scooped up.

I watched that machine in action on the history channel. Its so big it can open up a new strip mine, and backfill the previous one at the same time.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Incredible machine. It was kind of humorous whaen they were moving it, and it was in the background of so many peoples' homes and such.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Quite the machine I must say..............

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

When you gotta strip millions of tons of overburden one of those machines is the only way to-go.

That D8 is pretty small to the bucket machine but the Cat is a very important machine for the bucket wheel when it needs to travel to make the ground level as a bucket machine will flop on it side if the ground gets uneven.

7. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

The bucketwheel has it's place. There use to be many operating in the US, mainly in Illinois. The bucketwheel is the ultimate dirt mover. However the machine will not move rock. They have their place.

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i thought cats always land on there feet :p

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing that moves rock is dynamite or some kind I should know I live in a Province/area where you dig is mostly rock. All the houses in my neighbourhood don't have underground basements because you can't get any deeper than 4' into the ground without major blasting :)

Anytime I see programs like monster machines on TLC about the machine digging solid rock I just laugh there is no machine that can dig solid rock. I guess what they consider solid rock is normal dirt to guys like me in the digging business.

10. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

You can move rock with a rock breaker as well. Air powered drill with a special bit, drop a 2" hole in the stone, then insert the splitter. A little slower, but, when you are near foundations digging a swimming pool, the splittter will eliminate the need to have an engineer recertfy the foundation if the blast goes over #1 on the Richter scale. We have used them in the mountains and aside form nearly getting bit by a couple Rattlesnakes who were sunning, they worked slick as snot.