Pretty big project.... 1500 shrubs ... ALOT of ?'s

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kandklandscape, Jul 14, 2004.

1. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Our company has been contracted to do work at a near by soon to be reast.
    Very famous one, rather not say.

However, we are to plant 1500 shrubs... about half shrubs and half ground cover.

There is going to be about 2000 sq foot of sod to be laid.

River rock which we can handle. Mulch as well

My question is this.

How do I charge for something like this? Is there a repetative wage I must pay the employees?

How much per hour shall I charge... per man?

I was figuring 20 min per shrub/ground cover
    that is, placing them, digging hole, placing dirt in dump truck, or bobcat.

Times 1500, that is a large chunk of change....

Irrigation system must be intstalled. I need a contrator that I can sub out the work to do this. So any takers? I am located in SOmerset PA. If anyone is interested, you must contact me before tomorrow at 5 pm. Sorry for the short deadline. If you are interested, please contact 1 866 518 0367... I have the blueprints avail. I would like to meet with the contractor up front.

How do I show the customer where there money is going? Such as labor, shrubs, irrigation, rocks, mulch?

Sorry this is so long, more to come!

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Excuse me if I sound short, but you have been contracted for that size job and do not know what to charge??
  3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

""""Excuse me if I sound short, but you have been contracted for that size job and do not know what to charge??"""""

And you have been is Biz for 6 years, Somethings not right
  4. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

well its materials + labor + Profit ...also make sure you get a kickback from the irrigation guy

5. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you mean, "repetative wage"? An hourly wage should suffice.
    You should charge enough to pay the wage, workers comp, the taxes, etc and don't forget the profit.

Sounds like you are trying to bid on something a lot bigger than you are accustomed to. Good luck getting any good subcontractors with such short notice. Not saying it's impossible, just very challenging.
    This is what they call "Trial by Fire."
    Bid high, you won't lose a dime if you don't get the job.
    Have you got a planting drill? Good excuse to buy a couple of them, or at least rent a post hole digger or auger. My Gravely tractor with planting drill is great for such jobs. Check out the rental places, see what's available.
  6. kandklandscape

from PA

It is not that I do not know how to charge, it is that if there is a repetative wage, which there is, I do not know how much to tack on.

The wage I MUST legally pay my men per man hour is going to be $15.25 a hour REQUIRED threw the state because it is a union job.

Now, I was figuring $22.00 a hour per man hour, i iwll make a few bucks. I will charge my normal charge of $75 an hour for my labor rate.

Sound about right? For the $15.25 wage, I would charge 75% per plant, so that would be $11.43 per plant. average of 30 min per plant. Does this sound about right?

$11.43 times 1500 plants = $5718.75 for the labor charges per planting.... Does this sound about right?

This is my only problem is figuring out the key words "how much"
    Does that sound about right guys?

Weatherman.... we have been in business for 6 years, just never took a job on this size, new to the "big leagues" you could say lol
  7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

1500 plants for $5718? Sounds way too low to me. What size material? That would be low even for pints. If I were planting 1500 3gals. I would be charging in the neighborhood of 45K just for the plants.
  8. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

$15.25 doesn't cover your employeer wage expense. With Workerman's comp, FICA, UE, etc it's going to hit $20 an hour when it's all said and done, maybe more. If you only make (gross) $2 per man hour, you may as well stay in bed and let somebody else die young and poor.
  9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

One thing that might change the numbers is the actual times. I mean 30 mins a plant some how I doubt the final times will be any where near that and if your talking small plants 1-3 gal the times could be as low as 5-10 mins per plant. Mass production is a beautiful thing.

I just did a large sod job last week and the first thing I had to calculate was removing 90 junipers from the hillside. I toyed with 10 mins a plant but settled for 7.5 mins per plant or 7.5 hours. Well I hit it with 3 guys and my self ripping and loading the truck took us under 1 hour closer to 45 mins. So it ended up being 3-4 hours or half the quoted time all I am saying is if my guys took 30 mins a plant and they were under 6 gal size. They would have a foot up their butts I think the final times will be much lower.
  10. kandklandscape

from PA

30 min is calculated like this...
    delivery... unload.... place for storage...

employees unload the necessary qty of plants, from storage in wheelbarrow, place the plants wherre needed, and thjen dig.... that is how I got 30 min per plant...

the price I said earlier was for labor only... plants should run me around $10,000 or so...

I am thinking more like $30 per plant?

Does that sound better guys>?