Pretty set on a gravely

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kc2006, May 7, 2004.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Well after 2 weeks of looking I've finally found a mower that I'm pretty set on.

Its a gravely pro g, 36" fixed deck, gear driven. Its $2235 at the local dealer, has 2 year warrenty, has a beefy frame, maintenance free spindle design, 7mph top speed (i like that) and the optional double blade set up. I also asked about a striper kit for it and its only $59 bucks. I considered the 44" model for 2600 but I wanted something small enough to fit into gated back yards if i were to get any accounts with gated yards. I don't currently have any but I'm thinking of the future. I figure next year a 48" hydro will be bought for the larger yards.

Anyone dealing with gravelys? What are your thoughts on them? Also its got the 13hp kaw engine on it and I'm going to be using a proslide, is this going to be ok with me (250lb little angel :angel: ) All the yards are pretty flat, no big hills or anything.

I've been comparing and even though i really like exmark this is cheaper and it seems to be a good product. the exmark is 2550 in my area with that engine. so its 300 cheaper for this. Plus i like the design to raise and lower the deck on these bettter. I'm going to pick one up in the beginning of the week so i'm excited. :blob3:

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We had a 50" Gravely pro and we absolutely loved it. Well over 3,00 hours on it and the only thing that we ever replaced was the tranny at around 3,000 hours. Get it!!! You wont be disappointed!

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think i like my gravely anymore. The mower doesnt cut good. I have the 44Z. It may be only dull blades.

4. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

Sharpen your blades! (as often as possible) ...

Make sure your deck pitch is correct .....

Make sure your deck is clean....

etc., etc., etc.

5. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Have a Pro 150 with a 50" deck. I've had problems with the fron caster wearing out. So far I've replaced the left rim twice. Prolly a combo of the deasign and the way I turn it. Replaced the tranny way sooner then I should have. I replaced it with a Toro tranny and have been running it for two years without a hitch. The cut is even and and even though it's basically a fixed deck I've had no pproblems with scalping. My biggest gripe is the dealer support.

6. kc2006

Theres 2 dealers pretty close, and they both have very good support and service so thats a plus i guess. The mower is only going to be used on 15 lawns weekly and hopefully up to 25 by teh end of the year and then it will be retired to a backyard/gated mower once i can afford a hydro mower. Thanks for the comments on it, I'm going to check out a 6x14 trailer right now, its got a box and shelves for gas cans/blowers already on it and its 800 but the paint is really old on it so i'm hoping to get them down on the price, it'll be a good trailer to grow with. thanks again.

7. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

I would look into a jungle wheel sulky. They work perfect on my belt drive.

8. kc2006

If I dont go with the proslide I'm going to just make my own sulky. A couple wheels and some diamond plate with old roll cage tubing i have left over would do.

I think I might be going with the 44" mower, I'm not sure if the 13hp engine is going to do and the 44 has a 15hp unit. Like i said i'm about 250 (hopefully going down) and I don't want it bogging with me on there. I'm going to test the prosteer design tomorrow, its like a split T bar so it looks pretty nice, just want to see what its like first. The 44" with pistols is 2600 so its not too bad of a price (100 more then exmark/toro but with 8" more cutting width).

Any thoughts about the weight to power ratio going on here?

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

So you start to down a product because your maintenance sucks??