prevent pond sides collapsing?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by jgar, Feb 28, 2008.

1. jgar

jgar LawnSite Member

I've got a job that involves 'shoring up' and preventing the sides of a natural pond collapsing. The earth on the pond sides has been breaking up and encroaching on the lawn (see photos). The pond itself is a 'balancing' pond with water coming in one end of the pond via a pipe (from an adjacent field) and leaving at the other via another pipe. The owner has had the property for just over one year.
    What's the best way to 'shore up' the sides of the pond to prevent further collapse and if possible to infill the earth that has been lost to date?

Any suggestions for enhancing the overall look?

Thanks.
    JG.

pond_small.jpg

pond_small2.jpg

pond_small3.jpg

2. ncsuhort01

ncsuhort01 LawnSite Member

you may want to check for muskrats. I would say that is the biggest problem. The best cure for that is to give the neighbor kid 5 dollars for each one he shots. we have been dealing with them in our ponds for a while and haven't found much that helps.

3. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

check for licensing and permits required, but trap the muskrats that you can. They are easy to trap. you can dig in a 4-6 foot piece of chain link fence along the edge of pond, bury in about six inches of cover so you cannot see the fence. This will prevent the tunneling in the future. now you still are going to need and stabilize the banks with a type of geo textile. I can provide more detail if needed.

also can you raise the water level about 1.5 -2.5 feet. I would have see more to give a more specific reccomendation. Take in mind the elevation of the spillway and the amount of water entering the pond during a storm. The pond would look alot better with more water. may be as simple as adding the height to the standpipe.

good luck

4. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Tell them to stop mowing down to the waterline! There is no real emergent wetland plants there to armour the shore. That looks like pretty sandy soil so plant rushes which you can get from a wetland nursery or probably any native plant nusery. Their roots are so thick you cannot cut them iwth a shovel. They will hold that shoreline. And of course, backfill that area near the house to reclaim some of that lost ground.

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Friend of mine put chain link fencing down with large rock overtop. This way muskratts can not burrow. Might be able to get pics eventually.