Prevent Theft

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Hickerson, Mar 13, 2001.

1. David Hickerson

David Hickerson LawnSite Member

This an update to my theft post. I told everyone of my equipment getting snagged off of my trailer while I was Mowing a back yard. Got me for an Echo blower and a trimmer. Both new.

Well I got the equip replaced. No big deal. Locked all equip up with nice reinforced cable and the biggest lock sold. Then I did what I said I was going to do, Paint Everything. Got blue spray paint and painted everything. Who would want lawn equipment that is going to stand out like that. Pawn shops will not want it. Employee can not do anything with it. I think I have succeded in taking away all resale value it had. If it were stolen the cops would be better to spot it faster. After I was done having fun painting, I had to laugh out loud.

Houston

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Hope it works for ya.Seems a shame we have to
    ugly up our own equip because of theives.
    Again hope it all works.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Shidaiwa made some blue trimmers for a while. They might still make them, I didn't make it to the open house last year.

Paint them purple or pink, now that would be ugly. :eek:

It is a good idea though. ;)

4. David Hickerson

David Hickerson LawnSite Member

Unless you know your equip, you can not tell what brand it is. Like I said, I got a little happy and carried away.

Houston

5. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

[​IMG]
    HEY! Here we go! (I put a couple of spashes of green on our 'burb, Toyota, and telephone pole just for fun)

6. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

I had a guy try to sell me some hot equipment once. He must have stolen from everyone in Ga. Everything was color coded. It looked like a rainbow. There was no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for him. I told him to follow me to the ATM, while driving I called 911. They met us at the ATM and got the #%^$%$#^ for having stole equipment. I saw him a couple months later, he gave me the eye. I walked over to him and told him if he looked at me like that again I would beat his %%^. Needless to say, his little 170 lb frame was not match for my 280. It burns me up to see someone work hard to buy something. Then some nut steals it and try to sell it for little of nothing. If guys would stop buying the hot stuff maybe the would stop stealing.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

PLEASE don't get me started on how I feel about people who steal from someone else!!!

8. Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder LawnSite Member

Go ahead...try to lift my trimmers ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You'll be sorry you ever met Ivan!

9. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

Bigest NRA sticker you can get and a "Support our right to carry a concealed weapon" sticker help a lot.

Frank

10. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

Yea its sickening to think that people will stoop so low as to take a mans bread and butter. I usually put our initals on everything. I have evn gone so far as to stamp our phone number into the underside of our mowers. If they turn up missing, clean them off and if it has our number braised in there with a torch it was ours.