preventative disease program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shades of Green LService, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Was curious what everyone does as far as pricing for a preventative fungicide program. We had a few houses last year that got dollar spot, red thread and summer patch(due to all of the Jungle weather we had in the summer).These are the houses that want to be on a program.I have my prices, i just want to compare w/ others.Thanks.

2. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

We charge $9 per thousand SF and do 2 or 3 apps - usually May 1, June 1 and July 1. I notice you're in Jersey so you can easily add a few dollars to that number and still be competitive. There are lots of problems with this service though - timing, bad mowing, etc. - so be sure you're making a good buck because you'll likely be aggravated with it.

3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the $5.50 to $6.00 per K range. In 2 of my steps I just add the fungicide into the mix so no extra work. There are a lot of new and much better priced products out now. A good trend indeed.

If you have issues with summer patch, make sure you treat before you see the damage.

4. Shades of Green LService

I.m around 10-12 $ per K. 3 - 4 Apps.

5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

$10-$15/m may 1-june 1-july 1 high rate for summer patch and at that rate it keeps all outher in check..

6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I can't see averaging $10+ per k. I do get that much for my 5 -10k lawns, but for my larger lawns I ask for much less. I just can't get a high percentage of larger lawn customers to sign up for my fungicide program at that rate.

At $12 per k, a 20,000 square foot lawn would pay $240 per ap x 3 aps = $720.00 per season for fungicide aps alone. That same customer will run me roughly $70 in product to treat per ap. Quite a mark up considering I am not going to any extra trouble on 2 of the 3 aps except for mixing in another product.

The way I look at it is that I am making good extra money, even at a lower rate, more customers are signing up for it, and my lawns look much better as a result. This all leads in the end to happier customers, less complaints, and many more customer referrals.

Let the debate begin.

7. Shades of Green LService

No debate, Everyone runs their business diff. If that works for you, God Bless. Most of my lawns are 5-10k so it works out well.

8. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

We've been using Bayleton granular. What's everyone else using?

9. Shades of Green LService

I've always used bayleton. Gonna try Spectator or maybe a combo fert this year.

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

No preventative program here. On a home lawn, cultural practices will generally keep diseases at a minimum.