1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Preventing Floating Deck Gouges

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ray & Karen, May 8, 2004.

1. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

When I am mowing on a slight slope, the down hill side of my deck digs in lower because it is a floating deck, and gravity pulls it down hill. Any suggestions what to do to prevent this. I have tried mowing in different directions, but some lawns will not accomodate that very well.
  2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

What brand of mower are you using?
  3. Ray & Karen

A new Toro 500 series 52 in deck.
  4. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you mean 1) one side of the deck cuts lower, 2) the anti-scalp wheels tear up turf, or 3) the deck scalps at the bottom of a slope?

1) It shouldn't really do that. Check to make sure it's level, but if it does it in both directions? The floating decks that i've used don't change side-to-side.

2) Set the wheels up higher.

3) Lift the deck or change direction.
  5. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

my new Toro does that on turns too, I don't think the deck sways though, I think it is more the very heavy deck leaning the machine....mine is a 60''. I checked air pressure but no difference, lowered antiscalpers too, so techinically it shouldn't happen....but it does, I just go slower and be aware of this and so far have lived with it thinking all ztr'a did this....obviously not!

Some more feedback would be great please guys, these are great mowers, solving this issue would be great.
  6. Ray & Karen

Your #3 version is what happens is exactly what happens to me. This usually only happens when I am cutting at 2 inches or less. When I have my deck raised above 2 inches in rarely happens. Since Tony and I are both having the same problem could this just be a Toro issue?
  7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Nope my new Bobcat does the same thing. Any time there is a slight bump or hole the side of the deck rips the turf right up. Mine is a 48" floater, I just think the decxk is too heavy to be able to float over the smaller stuff. I have a Walker 48" and have never had this problem, but the deck is much lighter.
  8. Ray & Karen

I would assume there is nothing I can do to fix this then?
  9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

There are only 2 makes of mowers that I know of that have addressed this problem. One is the Kubota ZD and the other is Ferris I think. They have pivoting anti scalp wheels on the front corners of the deck. My ZD21 never digs up the turf when turning on uneven ground like most of the others do. The wider the deck is the more likely the deck is going to dig in to the ground.
  10. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you cutting at 2" anyway? That's extremely low. At that height you are running a big risk of throwing rocks.