preventing trimmer carbon build up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redmax fan, Jun 12, 2009.

1. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

if upon shutting whip down for the day you pulled the throttle trigger several times then stored the whip top of cylinder side down would this help to flood the cylinder with gas over night and in the process help disolve away built up carbon deposits ?

and when taking off muffler in order to get into cylinder and clean out carbon deposits im wondering peoples best methods ?

2. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Amsoil Saber 100:1

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It is a pretty simple maintenance thing on Echo and yours is probably the same. Take the muffler off and the spark plug out. Use a piece of round wood to clean out the port while blowing air into the spark plug hole. Be sure to set the piston as low as possible. I am not much in using less oil and risk reducing the life of the engine. At about the three year point I pull the head and put in new rings and clean out the ring groves.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

BP 93 octane premium unleaded.

I like this take on things as well.

5. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

Ive been running my echo's for 5 years never had any carbon build up. if you run a 2 cycle at have throttle or less, you will have probs, 3/4 or full no probs, or if you mix gas to rich with oil.

6. LouisianaLawnboy

LouisianaLawnboy LawnSite Silver Member

Amsoil 100:1 Again

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I don't remember having to scrape an exhaust port since my Echo days.

8. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I run Seafoam through mine every once in a while and they are 9 years old and going strong.

9. lawnman7

lawnman7 LawnSite Member
    from CT

u can put an oz of enzyme mix in it/ i put almost 3 bottles in my boat everytime i fuel it up as it hold over 300 galllons. it eliminates water from the gas and cleans out al that stuff in the motor

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Synthetic oil is a must. Think about it, you are not always running at top speed which is the best for the machine but not practical for trimming. If you are running conventional petroleum based oil (at any concentration) you are not burning it completely. Incomplete combustion = carbon. Give yourself the edge and run synthetic (AMSOIL KICKS AZZ) 2 cycle with whatever gas you want. I use 87. You still deal with the incomplete combustion of the gas (which obviously will make a little smoke and carbon) but nowhere near the problems running regular 2 cycle.

You may also want to consider looking at the screens in the exhaust. They are probably plugged and that backpressure also causes problems. A hotter plug sometimes will help too if you really want to start splitting hairs.

Switch to AMSOIL as they all are telling you.