Preventive Maintenance Program

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thill, Feb 9, 2005.

1. thill

thill LawnSite Member

We are getting large enough that our informal maintenance "system" is not getting the job done and plan to generate a documented program that will help us avoid costly mistakes.

Rather than re-invent what has been done well by others, we hoped that some the folks in this fantastic forum could help with what they have done or with sources of information they know about.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

2. tstrong

tstrong LawnSite Member

Everything with a motor should have a maintenance log. A 5x7 spiral notebook from Walmart works just fine. Each time work is performed , write the date, mileage/hours and what was done on a new sheet. Paper clip the receipt to that same sheet, that way if there are any warranty issues everything is in one place and documented.

As far as the time to perform maintenance, when you first get something that needs maintenance, decide upon a schedule ( number of hours, calendar-every 3 months or mileage ) then write a reminder on a calendar.

3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:waving: tom if you have a fax # i can foward whta we use to get are machines up to snuff before the season, this can also be used throghout the season as well. tony

basically covers the entire unit from caster wheels to fuses.

4. thill

thill LawnSite Member

TS - thanks for the input

Tony, thanks for the offer - FAX # is 512-275-0946

I'll use both imputs.

Thanks again.
    Tom

5. thill

thill LawnSite Member

Tony,

I got your fax,

Thanks
    Tom

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I basically use a database system that reminds me for everything and records every maintenance that we perform on the equipment

7. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:waving: hey tom, i hope that helps, its just a checklist that we use so nothing gets missed. Tony

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Tony, are you able to post it here, or maybe e-mail it to me (lawndawgz@yahoo.com)?. I don't have a fax.
    Thanks.