previous employer sucks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by capescaper, May 17, 2004.

1. capescaper

capescaper LawnSite Member

I previously worked for one of the most respected businesses in the area .Last year i decided to start my business again part time so i only worked for him 3 days a week. He was fine with that he said if u dont have any work just show up and i'll put you to work. He knew i wanted my own business. So this year i'm completely on my own and doing better than i ever expected. I did not take any clients from him or never will. I looked up to this guy ,he taught me everything. Now he wont talk to me talks bad about me his employees give me dirty looks. I model my business after him without exactly copying him. I am still holding on to the fact he said he would give some work. Idont really need any except for he's doing the landscaping on 300 homes in a new development next door to my house and said he would give my name for all the mowing. Should i call him and tell him to F-off i dont need your help or hold off . I loved to drive my mowers to work

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

No reaction is better than an over-reaction. Just leave it alone.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would call him up and ask him, "What is your problem." Be honest with him. Tell him that you used to look up to him and respected him, but the way that he is treating you now you have lost all of that.

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Locutus. Nothing to gain by trading insults with him. Better to spend your energy making a living.

5. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

go with the advice and call him.

6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I would word it a lot different, you probably don't know what all is going on in his life, maybe a death or an illness or something else that doesn't have anything at all to do with you.

I would use more of the approach

Hey________ this is ________ I was wondering if there is a problem between us that I don't know about. You know I have always looked up to you and respected the way you do business, so it really concerns me that I may have done something to offend you.

If he ask you why you would ask, explain politely what YOUR PERCEPTION is.

If he mentions the business you have started, explain that you thought the two of you had an understanding on what your plans were.

Unless you have heard the badmouthing directly from his lips, you don't know that it is going on. Why risk the chance of losing what might be a lucrative deal for you.

Talking with him in this manner may not settle anything and you may still not get the work referrals. But I guarantee you that if you rip into him, you have probably just saw the tip of the iceberg of the bad mouthing and dirty looks.

If he is somebody that is deserving of the respect that you have had for him, he may walk away thinking about your conversation and call you a couple of days later to finish smoothing things out. So fight the urge to flip him off as he walks away.

I know this is going to sound like kissing ass to a lot of people here, but this is salesmanship, you can point out someones infractions without handling it like a bar brawl. Everybody wins

7. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

[/B][/Quote]I would use more of the approach

Hey________ this is ________ I was wondering if there is a problem between us that I don't know about. You know I have always looked up to you and respected the way you do business, so it really concerns me that I may have done something to offend you.

If he ask you why you would ask, explain politely what YOUR PERCEPTION is.

If he mentions the business you have started, explain that you thought the two of you had an understanding on what your plans were.

Unless you have heard the badmouthing directly from his lips, you don't know that it is going on. Why risk the chance of losing what might be a lucrative deal for you.

Talking with him in this manner may not settle anything and you may still not get the work referrals. But I guarantee you that if you rip into him, you have probably just saw the tip of the iceberg of the bad mouthing and dirty looks.

If he is somebody that is deserving of the respect that you have had for him, he may walk away thinking about your conversation and call you a couple of days later to finish smoothing things out. So fight the urge to flip him off as he walks away.

I know this is going to sound like kissing ass to a lot of people here, but this is salesmanship, you can point out someones infractions without handling it like a bar brawl. Everybody wins [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree 100% That is the PROFESSIONAL way to do it. This method has worked for me with the results he described.(The man called back and we talk weekly now)

8. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, and whatever you do ,dont ask "what is YOUR problem"

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

of course I wouldn't say it like, I was just doing a summary. I would say to him, "Have I done something to you, because it seems like you are mad at me or something."

10. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Might be bad blood between you and his employees. He might be getting a story from his employees that you are bad mouthing him.