1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Previous thread on tractor Vs Zero Turn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blair smock, Jan 6, 2005.

1. blair smock

blair smock LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Ok, you have my curiosity peeked, I read a thread about a week or so ago on the battle between the zero turn and utility/garden tractor. Speed / Cut/ Durability and application were all discussed. I did not agree with some of the comments but hey that is what the forum is all about. My comment is this, I still have yet to see a Garden / utility tractor with a deck comparable to the Exmark or J.D. 7iron, Scag or Hustler. I own a Kubota Bx 1500 and a J.D. Gx tractor as well as Exmark Lazer Z’s Zero turns. I am not saying the Tractors don’t have a good cut but the decks are no way close the the contractors decks on the Zeros. My Question is this, How many Lco’s have a small utility tractor or garden tractor they use as a full time mower or a least 20-30 hard during a work week. What make model and issues have you had? Any pictures of the cut and tractor?

The previous thread got me thinking, I had to finish up last year with the J.D. GX 20 hp due to shoulder surgery. It worked great but I probably added an hour to an hour and a half on my larger jobs. With the help of the power steering and hydro fwd and rev and a spin steer, I was able to maintain my customers. My reason for asking and rambling is, I will probably have to use the tractor most of this year due to some nerve damage in my arm and shoulder, If there is a better tractor I need to look into it. Thanks guys, Blair
  2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

First of all do not compare a JD Gx series (Homeowner mower) to an eXmark Commercial. I only run Tractors - Get yourself a real tractor (JD x495 or x595) The 495 comes in front steer or all wheel steer - Very maneuverable, very very well built - Real decks under them. I run mine 10 hrs a day some days. I will try to post a pic, but I have not had much luck in the past. This is of a 17 acre job that is biweekly, so it gets pretty tall - My wife and I do this with a 455 JD and a 595 JD in 2 hrs. and 40 Min - no windrows - and excellent mowing job.

Mall - Long View-Straight Lines.jpg
  3. blair smock

blair smock LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Hi guy, thanks for the reply, IF you can post a picture of the x series that you use would appreciate it. are you using diesel or gas? This may be of help, any idea of $ not retail actual street price. Thanks for the info and help!
  4. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I spent $6,000 on my w/b and I got a 1983 Ariens gt-17 hydro 48" for free, except I rebuilt the engine and that cost $900 and now it works perfect. And get this it stripes better than any mower I have ever seen!!! It mows at 6mph so it won't win any races especially when I turn, but the cut quality is amazing.
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You may want to check out the Kubota's. They are built good and cut good. They have air cooled gas, liquid cooled gas, and diesel engines available. They also have hyd deck lift, foot pedal hydro trans, and power steering plus they are very comfortable.
  6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Guys, don't forget to take into consideration of deck size when people claim to mow large amounts of turf in an hour using a tractor.

Some people might give you the wrong impression on what is realistic. They will tell you the model of there tractor but not mention that they made huge modifications to them.

I'm not dissing these unique pieces of equipment, just pointing out important facts to consider.

To comment on your experience of speed. You will only find a handful that will say a garden tractor (no mods) is just as fast as a ZTR. If you go to the homeowner section you will see that lots of homeowners have traded in their garden tractors for ZTR's and say that it has saved them hours of time cutting their large properties.

Sorry I couldn't be any help on tractor recommendations.
  7. Flex-Deck

Soupy is right - I have a couple of mods on my x595 - Here is a pic
  8. Flex-Deck

Hm, let me try again
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Or maybe again. :waving:
  10. Green Quality

Green Quality LawnSite Member

Hi. I started last year with- get this a cub cadet 2180.with a 42 in deck.from spring till fall I put on 351 hr hard hours.sure it not fast,has a good cut.and held it's own on a lot of hills.this spring I will up grade to a 3000 series,rated at 8mph,also has diff lock.and shaft driven deck.i would like to get a ztr ,but i live and work here in the mountains,ztr would not cut mustard on some of the hills that under sized cub did. ;)