1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pribbling fen-sucked harpy!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Garth, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Went to get a contract signed today and the woman ( and I use this term loosely) tried to play head games on me. We agreed to $180/mo for her half acre corner lot. Her husband and her are very well to do. Matching Mercedes, swimming pool and a nice 6 bdrm house next to the mountains. The lot. When I showed up this morning after sitting in bloody traffic for an hour, I was told that we had "originally" agreed on $135/mo and that I would drop it down to $100/mo after we had taken care of the overgrowth. Bollocks! Twenty-five dollars a week for half an acre of trees, grass, hedges, groundcover, and a small orchard is mad.She said she has paid $100/mo for the past twenty years and doesn't think she needs to pay more. Then this nut-hook calls her toad-spotted husband to "confirm" what I had written down for her. The paper had, of course, conveniently vanished. I apologized for wasting her time and told her there was no way I could do her service for that little and wished her good luck in her search and left. What is it with the nobby ratbags that have all the money they could ever need and still try to screw you. She saw the job my crew did up the street from her house and she approached us. What would you have done?
  2. Sweetwater

Sweetwater LawnSite Member

I would have done what you did. Stick to the right price (180) and walk away glad you're not paying her to work.

Example: The property manager of a major corporation here is a "friend". He lives on .75 acres with fence, kidney bean pool, two-level patio, 7 crepe myrtles and another 5 magnolias. None of the trees have mulch/pine needles and are a royal pain to trim (takes 36" diameter to look right, can't mow close 'cause he won't let us lift barnches!). Well, he pays low and I LET HIM...I was a sucker because I am still waiting for a premier commercial property to dribble from his table of bountiful joy. You see I let this situation develop and now I have to live with it. I do this job and make almost no profit and I thought he would lay some mega accounts on me. Come to find out he has a dozen scrubs he rotates throught the commercial properties.

If I had stuck to my guns and my original quote for his property I would not be mad everytime I arrive. If I wasn't holding out for a big contract from commercial end of his life, I would walk away...your pesky bird might call you and decide to hire you. You proved you are not a fool.
  3. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

you did the right thing.

what the heck does ''Pribbling fen-sucked harpy!! '' mean? :confused:
  4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, aside from the fact I don't quite understand what the words Pribbling, fen-sucked, harpy, and bollocks mean, I think I would have done almost the same thing.

Except I wouldn't have apologized for wasting her time. I probably would have said something to the fact that she was wasting MY time and left.

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

Just one question, how do you think they got all thoses nice things? Thats rite by low balling other services, things that are not as important too them, such as landscape maintiance.
  6. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Just remember....WELL TO DO USUALLY EQUALS MAXED OUT....so they are gonna argue you down.

I would rather work for a blue collar homeowner ANYDAY....I always get paid from them.
  7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Nice lingo! Are you by any chance one of our mates from across the pond? And, if you are, does your classy accent help you land the high-dollar accounts? Cause if it does, I'm not below puttin' on a show as some chap from the isle!
    Seriously, what is a fen-sucked harpy? I've been rackin' me brain trying to decipher that little bit o jibba jabba....
  8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Pribbling fen-sucked harpy!!

Sounds like a true Scott!! Maybe a wee bit rude...but none the less to the point.

Brother Garth:
    Ya did as any good lad would have done in the same situation. However...why didn't ya tell the wench 'ta get a life' and not try takin' ya for a fool.

We Scott's are not ta be used by the likes of the .. rrrich and famous...or any other snobbin' low-life, parasites.

Cheers Laddie!!
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

fen is a bog or marsh. Harpies are miniature women (evil fairies) with wings known for acidic tongues and pulling horrible and maming pranks on the blue collared and travelers.

pribbling you got me.
  10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Cancel the account! What in God's name is the matter with you?