Price a yard in your friends home turf??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Jun 4, 2004.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

OK here's the deal. Got a call from a lady wanting an estimate. This yard is smack in the middle of a cluster of yards one of my lco friend mows. Only reason why I ask is because he told me last year he priced a yard that was near a cluster I mow. He didn't get the account, but it surprised me that he even priced it because he knew I mowed in that hood. Maybe I'm just too nice, but I'm torn as to if I should even price this yard. I've referred him plenty of work over the years, many mowing accounts that were outside of my zone, but I knew he had some accounts close by.
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I would price it....its only business. I have a friend who cuts a few in my home neighborhood and I do some landscaping in his....neither one of us care at all...
  3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with jaj. If you and this other outfit are avoiding working in zones because of each other, it's tantamount to a non-compete agreement, which may be illegal and is certainly unethical from the customer's point of view.

Why unethical? Because the lack of competition tends to drive up prices.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I mow a house one street over from a friends personal house who is also a LCO. When I got the account I called him up and told him about it. I also told him I was gunning for all his acounts on his block.....kidding of course. If you are both mature, this should be no big deal. If it really doesn't make you feel comfortable, sub it out to him or sell it to him. Sounds like you have been more than fair with this friend.
  5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Just do it this way...what if the shoe was on the other foot? make your decision based on that.
  6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I would price it. 1 lawn is not going to break your friendship. You have offered him work in the past, if it causes tension down the road then deal with it then, for now go for it.
  7. AutoKing

AutoKing LawnSite Member

Remember tha old addage, "all's fair in love and war". Business is competition, either compete or die. BTW, do you have any other jobs near there or is it on the way to another job you have? Make a business decision and let the chips fall where they may.
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I would tell the friend you are pricing it and are hoping to land it. If you get the job I will guarantee that the quality of work both companies do will go up. You will both try to outdo the other in good work and will both end up better companies for it.
  9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Nobody has a 'turf' in my opinion. I mow in neighborhoods with plenty of other lcos, right next to them, etc. If it was in an area I was in or wanted to be in, I would give the estimate.

My storage area I work out of has 2 other lcos in it. One of them works mostly out here by where I live. I have been trying to gain more customers locally, with all the building and expansion going on. So I have gained about 10 customers out here. The other guy noticed I was working out here. The 3rd LCO at the storage area told me Phil was mad I was working in his area. I laughed and asked when Phil bought the township. Then I told him I'll work where ever I want. If it was 'his' area, then the customers would be calling him, no?

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you start your business to make friends, or to make money? Any turf is fair game!