1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

price a yard

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by guido316, Oct 30, 2009.

1. guido316

guido316 LawnSite Member

i'm starting my own company how much should i charge a yard in ohio and how much on mulch as well if there are other prices you can think of that would help that would be awesome like edging ect.
  2. CrewKut

CrewKut LawnSite Member

This is a joke, right?
  3. Team_Green

Team_Green LawnSite Member

It's going to depend on the size of the lawn, and the amount of mulch you are using.
  4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Shoot for $1,000,000/yr on each yard. If you can do that you will do well in this business.
  5. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

There is almost no way to accuratley price a yard with the provide information, one yard might take 30 miniutes to cut, while another takes 3 hours, and hopefully you wouldn't price them the same, maybe some more details would help.
  6. guido316

guido316 LawnSite Member

ok i guess what i was trying to ask is how much do i charge per hour i cut do you charge extra for edging and if i buy a cy. of mulch for 22 how much would i charge to install. i was hoping for a broad answer to give me a general ideal.
  7. jhawk60

jhawk60 LawnSite Member
    from VA

Here is a broad answer on pricing that I posted in answer to another thread on pricing:

"Every company, every job, and every area is different. You can't base your prices solely off what someone else would charge for a job. Someone in your area may be able to help with the going hourly rate for labor, but the rest of the items that need to be addressed when figuring out a price are something only you can calculate.

Only you can determine how much of what material you will need and how much, if any, you need to mark them up. You must know what equipment you will be using on a job and how much it costs to run, maintain, and replace it. Only you know how much you need to cover gas, vehicle, estimating time, insurance etc. Only you can determine what percentage of profit you want your business to generate. And only you can know how long it will take you to complete a job.

How did you set your goal of $50.00 per hour? Did you take into account all of the costs associated with running the business, the profit margin you hope to achieve, and the wage you feel you should receive for operating a business, or does $50.00 per hour/per man just sound like a good number? What if you get the $50.00 per hour, but you find out it is costing $51.00 per hour to run the business? I'm not saying it would, I'm saying if you don't know the costs then it's just a shot in the dark.

I am not trying to discourage you in any way shape or form. I am simply stating that if running this business is what you want to do, you have to know every cost associated with its operation in order to make it a profitable enterprise.

Determine your costs and put them in this formula:

((labor + material + tool charge + overhead) x (1 + profit margin)) x hours to complete job = price

That is how you come up with prices.

If someone tells you they are charging $75.00-$125.00 for fall cleanups how does this help you? You don't know the size of the properties, the number of trees on them, the equipment being used, or whether the person is running a successful company, barely staying afloat, or working for beer money.

I know it can be frustrating and at times it would be nice for someone to tell you "if you are doing this, you charge this much", but it doesn't work that way, and if it did, then you wouldn't really be running a business, now would you?"
  8. guido316

guido316 LawnSite Member

thanks man that does help i just wish i knew the the competitive prices were for my area but the formula will help for sure thanks man
  9. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

I hope you make invoices more professional then you type on here. Periods are real simple to use. It is 2 keys to the right of the m key on your keyboard. You might want to consider using some kind of spell check also.
  10. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Excellent advice!!!!