Price break for lots of work?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Mar 26, 2002.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Bidding on a large cluster home complex 24 units already and there still building and 2 apartment complexes, All are owned by the same company. My ? is would you give a "volume discount " or would you just price it as any other job. The only reason I was going to bid on it was I wanted a chance at installation at the new homes but the guy wants a bid on it all. So it looks like it would turn into a lot more work than I thought. I have'nt been in the lawn care part in a long time, But have all the equipment I should need and can handle the work. Just not sure hows the best way to bid it. MAC.

2. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I would bid it taking into consideration the chance for extra work.
    I took on an apartment complex for a little less money than it might be worth(regarding cutting), but they are completely renovating it and making it into a Sr. complex. To attract new customers they are doing a lot of clean-up work and replacing of old landscaping.

It is the same for a few of my residential customers. There are a few that always pay on time I can do what needs to be done and send them a bill. I cut their grass for slightly less because of all the additional services, i.e. mulch, chem. apps., leaf clean-ups,

3. Plowguy99

Plowguy99 LawnSite Member
    from MI

It makes sense to give a little discount since you won't be waisting time traveling from job to job. I wouldn't be to generous though, you still have to pay your bills!

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not a gambler. I can't even drop a quarter in a slot machine (that's the truth). I'd bid it normal because there are no guarentees in life.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

yea id give a discount and still make money.
    good opportunity to give some one a job doing the mowing.
    course theres always the sub route.

6. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

First I would sit down and figure out what the proper price would be for each place.

Now look at it as a whole package and figure out if you can do it all for maybe 5% less of the total.

If you can do it and still make money then it is probably worth it, simply because of the extra work you mentioned.

7. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

If a majority of my time and money is going into a property, I would bid more, b/c what if you loose them. Don't put all your eggs in one basket there ace. DOn't bid under, at least bid =.

8. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

For me it all depends. If its a big company, builder or real estate co I would give the a break. I have a referal program in which the customer gets 10% off their bill for that month if I pick up a customer they recommend to us. So if they give us 10 accounts and their bill is $100 for that month its free. I will always trade $100 for $900 any day. And if the stay for 8 months thats $7,100 for me $100 for them. Works for me:D Word of mouth is the best advertizing I just help people do it more.
    Travis

9. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Discount for the sake of discounting, NO!

Discount based on real, calculated efficiency, OF COURSE.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It's called, "Economies of Scale", discount accordinally what you feel is right.