Price check? 48" TThp

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by PaulJ, Mar 8, 2003.

1. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, I know we get a lot of these post here But....

A dealer here has a NEW 2002 model TurfTracer HP

48" w/17hp kaw.-pull start

He told me MSRP= $5700

His price should be= $5099?

He will sell for= $4577

My ??- is this a fair price? The machine is last years model but is still brand new. I drove it around there store building today and the ECS handles real nice. And I realized again how much I miss having a Hydro.

I still have to get the customers to sign before I will make the plunge for a new mower, But this one seams like it could be the one.

I do have some concerns about this dealers service. (he actually has an underground sprinkler company and sells Exmarks also) I am not sure how he handles part and service.

Just wanted to get everyones input on this price and machine.

Thanks.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Paul,

Anything below the $5099 sale price is more than fair.

I know that the commercial mower sales here in NE have been a little slow over the last couple of years due to the drought but I haven't had any complaints regarding parts and repairs on this dealer.

Good luck

Terry

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Well then, you could also get a new 17/49 Hustler WB, Hydro with floating deck and the best bar none control system available, for under $4,600, too. Why settle for pistol grips, whether upsidedown or not, when you can get the H bar steering. Why would anyone buy any machine that takes two hands to control when you can use "just one hand" with the H bar???
    Pete

4. eXmark

Pete,

Some people actually prefer the ECS, some prefer pistol grips, some even prefer the T-bar just to name a few. Fortunately we've got choices otherwise all equipment would be the same and that would be rather boring.

Just like some prefer the manual PTO with built in blade brake on the TTHP. All the benefits of and electric PTO with out the disadvantages.

Many of our customers like the higher blade tip speeds we offer along with the aluminum cutter housings in our "no-maintenance" spindles.

Still others prefer the semi-pneumatic front caster tires that NEVER go flat.

We even have customers comment on the fully welded deck seams for added strength and corrosion resistance when operating in acidic conditions such as those found on heavily fertilized lawns.

Several of our customers like the tracking adjustment knobs that prevent the need to "pull" to one side or the other with the operator controls.

We've even had a couple of guys tell us they like cold start kit that releases the hydro belt drive tension to help make it easier for the engine to start in cold weather.

Every once in a while someone will even use the multiple spring location holes on they hydro pump drive to increase the positive forward drive as required. Generally this is for large operators in hilly conditions pulling a riding attachment.

We generally get good comments on the thousands of hours our service personnel spend in the field each year training operators, dealers, and distributors all in an effort to keep you guys up and running longer.

We understand that any piece of equipment will break sooner or later so we not only train our dealer technicians on how to repair them but we can also offer programs like Parts Plus which guaranties parts overnight or they are free (see dealer for restrictions). Every now and then we even make changes to the equipment just to make the maintenance and repair easier, simpler and more user friendly.

All the specs in the world are just words on a piece of paper. The real proof of what an Exmark TTHP can do is in the lawn.

We've built our reputation on quality of cut. Whether bagging, mulching or side discharging the way the lawn looks when you leave the lawn says a great deal about our products.

Thanks

Terry

5. Doc Pete

Terry, I can understand your view point. However, even though with those that are so uneducated, preferential, stubborn and unable to accept change, it does not change the fact the H bar is superior to anything on the market today. Also, preference has nothing to do with a mechanically superior type of control system, that eliminates many "mixing inputs" that any other type of "two hand" control system must have. Furthermore, the H bar eliminates any possibility of carpal tunnel syndrome by it's design, while, ECS till leaves that avenue open. Again, I understand your view, but it simply just doesn't hold water. However, that's OK, since many of ECS just owners don't know the difference anyway.
    Thanks,
    Pete

6. eXmark

Pete.

Like I said it's good we have a choice.

The ECS hasn't been on the market quite as long as your preferred system however we have been enjoying a great deal of acceptance. We do however prefer to let the market determine changes in our products and your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Are you sure you've eliminated any possibility of Carpel tunnel?

Like I was hinting at before. There are many aspects to why customers prefer different products. Sometimes it's the controls, others it's the engines and even support. There are many reasons to go with a given product. Controls is but one small piece of a rather large commercial mower.

Thanks

Terry

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Pete (switchless)

I haven't nulled out Hustler but the closest dealer is 50 miles away and the closest dealer that has a walkbehind in stock for me to look at is over 100 miles away.

The Exmark is the first machine that I have been able to drive since a I started considering a new machine (6 months ago) I won't be buying for a while yet. It takes me forever to make a choice.

I am not sure i will like having the controls of both sides tied together. I am so used to having independent controls for each wheel (mowers, skidsteers, windrowers, ect..)It might be harder to get used to. But I need to drive one first. The Exmark dealer here is the first local dealer to have a walkbehiind mower in stock so I looked at it and drove it and liked it so far.

The jury is still out however.
    I am not sure I like Exmarks attitude about aftermarket accessories. It seems they are not as receptive to new ideas. So my mind is not made up yet.

Thanks for all the input guys.

8. eXmark

Pete,

One of the advantages of ECS is that when you traveling forward in a straight line to make a pass (the majority of you day) your not doing anything. You’re simply relaxed. The mower doesn't require any input what so ever until you want to turn, stop back up or correct your direction due to slopes, hills, rough terrain etc. Another advantage is having the handlebars mounted fixed to the chassis. A lot of machines that require constant input such as push to go or a handlebar that isn't rigidly mounted can be difficult to drive straight on rough terrain. As an example if your on a stand on attachment being pulled by the mower your going to use the handle assembly to help maintain your balance. If the handle assembly or the drive control isn't mounted to a solid platform each time you try to maintain or regain your balance you will transmit more input to the drive linkages causing the mower to “wander”. There are many different controls on the market, some will do something better than another but none of them will do everything better than everything else. It all comes down to what fits your style, needs and performs best for you.

As far as aftermarket attachments we actually do support several of them. At one time be authorized the use of an aftermarket vac for the Lazer, currently we are one of the largest promoters of the JRCO products as well as the RAD snow removal attachments and we all know what happened with the striping rollers. We even help promote some of these aftermarket attachments on our website. The difference is that all of these products are produced by a manufacturer that we believe has taken the time, energy, effort and resources to ensure that they have a quality, safe product that either have met the ANSI standard or do not obviously violate the standard in our opinion. After all you wouldn't stake your reputation to help promote a new chemical applicator that you don’t believe is certified, you've never met and upon looking at his work may create a safety hazard for your customer.

I don't want to imply that we feel these attachments are safety hazards but they could be. It is the manufacturer's responsibility to test his/her products to ensure they are not only safe but deliver what the consumer believes he or she is getting. This is part of being a manufacturer and enjoying the rewards that follow. Certain standards groups such as ANSI were established to protect the consumers as well as the manufacturer and we feel they are reasonable and good standards to follow. One of the reasons why we have patents is to help manufacturers and developers recoup the costs associated with R & D and conducting proper testing of products. Without these it would be much more difficult to bring a tested product to market the delivers what the consumer expects in return for his/her investment.

Thanks

Terry

9. Doc Pete

And again we agree. And pretty much you describe the H bar to a "T". OOP's sorry about the punn. The H bar is rigid mounted, can be fully hand gripped and won't change inputs unless you move your wrist, which is simple to keep from doing. And, no operator input is need while tracking forward, unless adjusting for a straight line, like ECS. I will say, that in you're eluding to those twin handle levers of a stander, the ECS would be my choice, if I had to choose.

ut unlike the Wright controls, which you and I agree the ECS is better than.

10. eXmark

Pete,

Thanks for the update. The last time I ran one the handlebars would rotate from side to side like a motorcycle, which made straight lines while maintaining my balance more difficult. Besides I'm sure you’re much better at the operation of this machine than I'll ever be. I'll make it a point to check one out the next time I bump into one.

Thank you again for your open comments however I'm still not convinced you've eliminated "any" possibility of carpal tunnel.

Besides we've got a great deal more to build our reputation or other than our handles. As I said the handles are but one small piece of a very large lawn mower. I'll stack the TTHP up against anything on the market feature for feature, however it really shines when you get in the grass. Great cut, great mulch quality and a super reliable machine.

Good luck

Terry