Price check for Briggs Carb Kit

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Smalltimer1, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Need to know what the going price is for a carb kit for a model # 191702-2531-01 8hp Briggs single cylinder engine on a Toro 8/32 Rear engine rider.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Rob, just out of curiosity what is the normal markup on parts, generally speaking? I know it ultimately depends on the dealer, but I've always thought it was around 10-20%??

4. Restrorob

Closer to 20% and higher, Some things can go as high as 50% I hate to say. Briggs sets their own MSRP and that is whats generally used but aftermarket companys is where the higher mark-up is.

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

But once you start adding in all the increases in shipping that dealers are paying now (which is something that the guy with the wrench in the back probably never sees, no offense Rob), a dealer has got to add shipping to the bill on special orders or work it into the overall cost of all parts.

What seems like a markup to you can become a quick loss on say a $7 part when you get charged a flat rate of $8 for shipping.

6. Restrorob

Your right, I do know all about the shipping, If a certain part is not in stock the customer is charged from 5 to 7.50 shipping on top of the price of the part to have it ordered in. Also a lot of dealers get free shipping if their order is over a certain amount and the customer is still charged shipping. It's just another way for the dealer to make a buck on the part.