Price check on 1 1/2 acres

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Poncho25, May 7, 2007.

1. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Got this company that wants to sub this out. Here is the estemate they gave me for whats needed. 1st question is how long would it take to cut a lawn this size (1 1/2 acres). The lot is a corner lot.

- 3 hours mowing
    - 1 hour edging (long driveway and flower beds)
    - 1 hour blowing (again long driveway and boat steg)
    - 1 hour weed eater
    - replacing approx. 40 plants 4 times a year (buying and planting)
    - 1 day hedge trimming (property has 2 walls about 6 ft. tall throughout)
    - bush trimming as needed

2. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Whats up
    bro so you looking for a estimate on what to charge, and its getting subed out to you.

3. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Three hours mowing ... and another three hours to edge, trim and blow? Those last three times are way out of whack (at least in my opinion) Granted ... edging takes longer then trimming, and trimming takes longer then blowing ... but three hours for all of those?

Where did the times come from ... from your estimate, or are they the times given you from the guy subbing it out to you? If he gave you the times, then charge him for 6 hours worth of work. You should be able to cut a bunch of time off of it.

That's how I see it anyway ...

4. Poncho25

yeah those times were set up by them. I have not cut something this large so not sure how long it would take me for something like this. They seemed way out of whack to me as well. I mean I would figure even with a 44" Z it should only take about 45 min to cut something that size... Just trying to get a feel for what the going rate is for something this size and how long it takes those of you who have lots like this size. As far as the plants go, not to concerned about that. Mostly just the reg maintenance part an the hedges. I was figuring for the hedges charging per hour for that or per hedge. again, I have never done something on this scale so just looking for some input on those who have more exp for this. I have also not agreed to doing this yet as it might be more then I can handle at the time. But any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

5. martinfan06

Yeah I agree those #s seem to be inflated. So I would think an hour average for each mowing trimming edging and blowing would be a better figuire. So if thats the case and its commerical I would be somewhere around 175-200$ a cut. Now thats just a ballpark and I would just inculde the hedges in that price, 1 day for hedges nah it wont take that much Ive seen some really huge hedges and done some and never seen a whole day.

6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like your in need of a second mower **cough cough**

7. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What am I missing here :dizzy:

An acre and a half that takes 3 hours to mow? Another 3 hours to edge, trim and blow? That's six hours for a 1 1/2 acre job.

I had to miss something ...

8. martinfan06

Oh no your right I said 3 hours gate down gate up should be about right not 6 no way..

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Those numbers are whack.

I cut one full acre with a considerable amount of obstacles with my 48" WB in 40 minutes. And I have to go about half stick on part of it because where the property is along the road, there is a ditch and a big hill the length of the property. Yesterday I did it with the 48" and my partner with the 36" around all the obstacles and then back and forth in the back yard, and it took about 25 minutes total.

I can see an hour(or even more) trimming if there's enough stuff to trim around, but an hour to blow off? And edge? Sheesh. Better look at it yourself.

10. Poncho25

I decided to turn this down. The guy was really shady about the details he gave me as you all saw. It didn't make sense to me at all and I never cut something that large. Maybe with a push 21 inch it would take 3 hours... and when I asked him the address he didn't want to give it to me unless I signed a document stating that I will not steal this account. I told him to go find another schmuck. There was something def not right here.

Thanks for clarifying that up for me all :) your reactions were exactly how I reacted!

:drinkup: :drinkup: