Price check on hedge trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, May 31, 2004.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

What would everyone charge for 4 hours of hedge trimming, cleanup, but no disposal.....Getting ready to send out the bill and wondering if I was about right.

2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i would be about 320+ or - a little

3. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I just did my largest hedge trimming job yet. It took 2 guys with trimmers and 1 cleanup guy a total of 5 hours and I charged $550. I also did not have to haul off clipping otherwise I would have added at least $50 to that if not more.

-Brandon

4. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

all depend trimming hedges is usually 65 an hour for me but if ive got to tget out the pole pruner with the hedge clipper end is about 85 an hour

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

4 hours of hedge trimming..."priceless"

Playing by the prevailing wage rules, only $200 or so, but I don't think that's nearly enough for the amount of hard work and misery it involves. You'd probably have to pay me $400 to WANT to do 4 hours of hedge work every day. I hate the stuff. Makes my old back hurt, it get stings and bites, I get sweaty and tired, and it's a lot more subjective a thing than mowing the lawn, so you're more likely to get customers telling you you did it all wrong.

I have yet to test the market as to what people WOULD really pay for it, I just did it over the years because I had to as part of getting their business. But I would be interested in hearing what people get for 4 hours of work. I work really fast by nervous habit, so I guess one man's hour might not be the same as mine. Maybe that's why I hate it so much, I tire myself out.

6. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn, some people hate hedge trimming huh?>

That's my favorite maintenance of all!

HEDGE TRIMMING - formal shaped that is..

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

D@mn!! I need to move from Georgia! Where I live at a 4 hour srub job is about 60$ if you are lucky and thats in a high end neighbohood. I have done a 8 hour srub job for 75$ and listened to the customer cry, pi$$ and moan about that price. I have just about completely quit doing subbery trimming except for a very few good cusomers and I tell them its now 35 an hour which is EXPENSIVE for my area. I went up hoping I would not have to do anymore,why do people think thier yard should cost more than their srubs and its a lot harder work.

Danny

8. brucec32

that's because you're an ARTIST at heart. I, on the other hand, can't draw a straight line and have no eye for it.

9. brucec32

Yeah, you are in "the middle of nowhere" in terms of state Geography. Maybe it's time to consider a move to a bigger city? Say Hahira? LOL

Seriously, this biz is much easier where the people with corporate jobs and money are. I would be really depressed to have to trim shrubs for $15/hour. Go to Atlanta...rows and rows and rows of new homes on 1/4 acre lots with Bermuda sod in front, Fescue in back, and two-income owners with no spare time or inclination to mow that stuff. $35/pop for 30 minutes work, lined up close to each other. New homes mean low-maintenance or small shrubs, so not much of that to do.

10. brucec32

Is that 5 man-hours or 15? I would guess 15.