Price check on Isle 5 please

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gilla Gorilla, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I will be removing and disposing of 14 8' White pines that have been in the ground for at least over a year and disposing of them. I do not have to pay at the landfill because of being a resident in the county.

I will be replacing them with the same Eastern White Pines 8-9' tall, staking and mulching also.

My cost for the pines are $100.00 each plus 5% sales tax = $105.00
    I figure on no more than 1 bag of soil conditioner per tree = $3.15 w/ tax
    1 bag of double shredded for each tree = $3.31 w/ tax
    2 stakes per tree, I have plenty of wire and hose already = $5.00 roughly
    Total = $116.46

Plus $25.00 per dead and half dead tree to remove and dispose of = $141.46

I was thinking of charging around $180.00 to $185.00 for each tree to purchase and install. Plus the $25.00 to remove each and dispose of for a total of $205.00 or $210.00 This is for a small custom home builder that I already do a little bit of work for here and there.

Does this pricing sound to low to you guys with guaranteeing them for one year???

Thanks for any advise good or bad.
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

One question,why are you replacing them,they died or are dieing?Best find out why they died before planting the same trees in the same location and guaranteeing them for a year.
  3. Gilla Gorilla

That is a what I started to think about after I posted and was eating diner. When I talked to the builder this afternoon I did not ask him that but he did say that the Arborist said to replace all 14 even though some are only half dead so far. I will give him a call in the morning and see why they bit the dust ie lack of watering, dieses or pest. Hopefully it is just a lack of water that we have had back in June and July and now so far the last couple of weeks.

He does have a meter that I can use to hook up to the fire hydrant that is about 200' away from the trees. Bye the way have you ever used that type of hookup? Will a regular garden hose spin on to it or do you need a bigger hose?

Thanks Sheshovel
  4. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

Your cost for the pines needs to be increased....YOU pay 100 bucks a pine....but after you going and picking them up and delivery...that's going to add to the YOUR cost on each you should add a few bucks per pine for profit (or for possible replacement issues in the future), you have to pay yourself AND make a profit.........I'd plant each pine for 210-220 AND get an extra 15-25 bucks for removal/disposal of each.

However you price them, a profit needs to be in the amount that would cover the trees, if they should need replacing under your "warranty"....

But, if you feel confident that you'll make out on the deal..........why not do it for that amount?

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Do the Rule of three's...3 times your cost of materials to install and warranty....Not perfect, but it gets you in the ball park, you should be charging close to 300 per tree in the ground and warrantied. Warrantee does not cover, acts of god (storms) vandalism, and lack of water....Make sure it's spelled out and signed off on

5-6 bucks per stake, and 25 per tree removed sounds ok...if you do a good job pulling em out your hole is partially dug..:)
  6. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

On items that you 'have already' still factor that into the costs.....because you either

1. paid for them already, and are now giving them away for free,
    2. will need to buy more in the future for the next job....if these aren't paid for, why should the next guy pay for his?

Often on my excavating jobs I have to buy drain pipe, big-o, etc. If I have to buy it, I charge for the full roll. If I use it all, I mark it up accordingly, after all, I did have to go get it etc as well. If I use most of it, I charge the same, and keep the leftover for another job. Only when I need a small piece that I don't have do I drop my rate....and I still buy the full roll. Usually I'll charge enough that it covers the cost of the roll....I just don't make as much on the time factor, but.....when I use that on the next job, I make up for it then.
  7. Gilla Gorilla

I had my mother in law call a local nursery that seems to have some of the cheaper prices around for plants and trees compaired to two other big nurserys.

They told her that they will not come out for less than $1000.00 for the total price of any install. They priced the trees installed and guarunteed for a year at $349.00
  8. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

three times wholesale for the minimum cost for planting the trees.
    In Manassas I can't remember seeing any good looking stands of pines.
    The trees in our area all come from down near Floyd, VA...sand sand and more sand. Put those balls in our clay and you get poor survival.

Plant high, mulch heavy to keep moisture in and use 3 30" stakes to hold them up....use the arbortie and not wire.

Check the Shemin yard on Quarry road, they were having a sale on B&B material.
  9. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

see Justin..........$349.00 each!!. You said it yourself. Maybe not charge thaaaaat much but...............Gotta charge more....just means more payup

10. Gilla Gorilla

Hey Treedoc

I did check with Shemin the other day and they list for $135.00 but came down to $120.00 but that is $280.00 extra. I think that I will spend the extra 1 1/2 hours to go drive to Old Braddock Road to get the pines for $100.00