1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Price Check please!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Clapper&Company, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

I had a lady call a few weeks ago and she wanted RR tie flower bed replaced it was 20 yrs old...

I told her $250.00 she said ok

Last week we did the work and billed her.

She called today wanting to know if the RR ties cost $10-12.00 Each
    Why it cost $250.00 to do her job.

We used 6 RR ties
    and Had 2 guys 2 hrs on the job site.
    + the hour round trip it took them to go pick up the RR ties.
    I also had to take them away to my dump.

Was my Price out of line?

2. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Firstly, you don't really owe her any explaination. Do you go to a store and ask them why it cost this much especially after you agreed to the price.

If you're ok with the price, why it was that price doesn't matter.

That said, I think your a little on the cheap side personally. Just my 2 cents though. (6 man hours @ $180 for labour and the wear and tear of the truck and gas + disposal fee). Now that I think about it way too cheap. Did you make any money on it at all?

3. Clapper&Company

from NE Ohio

Yes I made ok money

The going rate here is $30 per man hour.

I also think I was kinda low should of been about $300 but owell

4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I am thinking you were on the cheap side. If I thought ot would take 2 guys 2 hours, plus an hour of drivetime picking up railriad ties. I would have billed $300 for the labor + hour of drivetime, plus the cost of the ties and a disposal fee.

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

i think she has know room 2 bich about that bill

6. Clapper&Company

from NE Ohio

Kash kinda what I was thinking

7. JAX76CJ

JAX76CJ LawnSite Senior Member

I concur.
    .....$250 is too low ;
    Just Kidding, My Labor is $30 per man as well. Your quote was right on Par. $180 Labor, $70 in Materials, and $20 Disposal fee. Sounds about right to me..... I guess she did get a Bargin.

8. Clapper&Company

from NE Ohio

LOL Chris

Thanks for agreeing with me.. I was about 90% sure I was on track today but just wanted to make sure

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I would confront her about knowing the price before hand. She agreed to the price. She needs to pay to the agreed price. If she is not a regular customer I might even mention "shorting me on he agreed price." That would really really irritate me.

10. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

ive had that a few times people think that all that money is going in your pocket and it should take you longer to earn it than it takes them. i just did a lawn repair total price was 350 dollars had a signed agreement took about 2 to 2.5 hours with me and one other guy. we got going and the guy comes out and says to let him know when it will be done and he'll go to the bank and get the money so i told him to get going because we should be done in a little over an hour and he starts about how there is no way he is paying that much for a couple of hours of work and that that is all he makes in a week. i explained to him that the agreement stated less that 1/2 for completion and either he can pay now or we can go to court and he can lose a day of work and pay then. got my cash about 45 minutes later.