Price Check

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by White Gardens, Jul 20, 2013.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

That I feel is the best response and thanks DVS. I was shooting for 2-2.5 days also on this project.

But, like I said, dragged out due to the heat and taking long breaks.

So, ultimately it took 4 days, I was hoping to get it done in 3, but on the third day my guy took the day off to help send his sister off to college. So on day 3 I worked by myself, called it a day in the mid afternoon due to the heat and took 2 hours on day 4 (a Sunday) to tidy up.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

That's exactly what I wanted to hear! (that your expectations were NOT 1 to 1.5 days). And the longer it takes, the better the quality (in most cases).

These damn little walkways are SNEAKY. Especially when they have curves. It would take us just as long to install that walk in the picture as it would for us to build a 400 SF patio.

The walk looks very nice, by the way.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks DVS.

Sneaky is right, we did a 400sq. foot patio last year and it seemed to take the same amount of time.

And thanks for the compliment. Homeowners are extremely happy with it. Next step is a color enhancer sealer to bring the colors out better.

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Remove concrete sidewalk, excavate, install base and final grade day one, second day complete. For 3k, that doesn't leave much for profit. I'd charge 5 for that up here.

5. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

Does it really take a day to rip out 1.5 yards of concrete, excavate 3 yards of dirt and install 5 ton of base material?

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I had a guys jaw drop since we ripped his walkway out in 8 mins. Sledge, bar, wheelbarrow to the bobcat and load the truck. Call it a day Nd a half with cuts and cleanup but with three guys you gotta pound these out to make money when these psychos are giving estimates at 8.75/sf. I know we're still inefficient but my guys are really sharpening up. I love watching them swarm a job and actually get it done.

7. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what im talking about!

I had a similar conversation the other day with an old time business owner. We were discussing a 12k concrete driveway. His response...."why not 13k, or maybe 15k"

The goal of business is to make a profit. Get the highest return on your investment.

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

If you read my previous post you see the answer.

There is no such thing as 1/2 a day of work.

Clean up and transportation logistics consume alotta time.

Does a small walk need 2-3 trucks on site? The fuel will cost more than the aggregate!

This is where an enclosed trailer backfires on production, as you'd need multiple trucks because the trailer is robbing a truck of maximum use.

Yep, the concrete will be out of place in minutes. No biggie. But it still needs hauled away and disposed of, along with the soil that is excavated. With a 26,000# gvw truck - that's most likely 2 loads.

Where would you stage pavers, bedding sand, aggregate, and still have room to maneuver the equipment to excavate and load the truck???

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Job like that I would use my excavator would go directly from the excavator right into the back of the truck very little cleanup. When yours good at it as I am things roll

10. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

It is actually rather easy to coordinate this type of job to ensure that it is done in a day.