Price competition

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by All Season Bill, Feb 1, 2008.

1. All Season Bill

All Season Bill LawnSite Member

It's nice to know what some of your competitors are charging but you have to be true to yourself and not worry about the other companies....unless you're way off or something.
    When a resident of a home owner association told me, one time that another local company was servicing their lawns for like....$20 or something, I looked into it before I made a judgment. I found out that the company combined all the properties and used their standard price per acre, and they were not losing any money at all. After the price breakdown, it came to $20 per resident. So now when somebody says that their lawn is cut or serviced at an unusually low price like that, I'll remember that.

2. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

from another thread

i know i'm high on bigger jobs
    little lower on the smaller jobs
    right on with installs, hardscapes and cleanups

snowplowing i'm right on

i have been called a lowballer by some and out of my mind by others.....

personaly i don't pay too much attention to what people charge but do know their prices due to working with some of them on jobs and in the same neighborhood.....
    people will tell you what their landscaper is charging and ask you to beat it....

98% percent of the time i raise it 5 to 15 dollars to see if its a quality/service issue or if people are just being cheap...

All the buisness thats out there i try to get new customers and leave everyone elses alone.... no sense getting into bidding wars when the work is pentiful...

Nate

3. All Season Bill

You're right. There's enough out there for all of us without stepping on toes.:)

4. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

It's an older thread from last year that I started back then but there are some very valid points made by many of the posters relating to price point etc.

Wife thinks I should low ball $20 an hour to get business?
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=194045

:waving:

5. lawnmagicinc

lawnmagicinc LawnSite Member
    from jax fl

for a home owners lawn we charge 35 per cut wich comes to 140 year round full service
    =1680.00 per year ower prices start there and go up

6. All Season Bill

How can you have a set price for residential or any lawn?
    Lawns are all different sizes.

We have a small price minimum if we can do the lawn in less than a half hour otherwise we charge are standard one hour labor rates. (the little old ladies with the postage stamp lawns like this)

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i have yards or properties that i charge anywhere from $20 all the way up to $150 a cut...the prices are all over the place...the $20 job takes 10minutes to do which is why i charge so little and it's about 2 minutes away from another house i cut so it's on the way so to speak...it's a little grass area in front of a Servpro business next to the highway...the $150 one is a 3 acre yard that takes me about 2 1/2 hrs to do.