Price differences between the North and the South..

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mrusk, Nov 5, 2005.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I live in Northern New Jersey. I live in the 4th richest county in the richest state. Cost of living here is high.

I'm looking to move down south and was wondering if the going rate was the same in the south for most green industries services?

Where i live you can't find a house for 150k. When i move i am going to have a sweet house for that amount. I am just curious if i will be able to make the same amount of money down there. Is $60 an hour the going rate for mowing down there? Is $75+ an hour the norm for hardscapes?

Help me out the best you can.

Matt

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Sixty an hour:D :D :D :D How far south are you talking about? In my area the 60 dollar per hour would put you out of biz real fast. However, you can get a nice home in the 80-100k range and a super nice one with swimming pool in the 150k range. Not saying though you cant get the 60 an hour sometimes but on the average it will be more in the 30 per hour range if you are lucky. I try for 40-45 and its dang rare and tough to get even though I get lucky sometimes, but its not the norm. Good luck in your move. Remember, not a lot of places that pay like Jersey.

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Qaulity i'm glad you responded. I am acctually looking at Fayatte or Forsyth GA. Those 2 counties have the highest income per a house hold in the state. They are also among the highest in the country.

What do you think of thoses areas?

4. QualityLawnCare4u

Mrusk, Im about 200 miles south of Forsyth, and you are correct, it is one of the more wealthy counties in Georgia. Now there you may get decent pay. There are several LCO on here from this area. Might want to try a thread "question for LCO in Forsyth area" and get some good advice.

5. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

In Houston, I make almost the same money as I did on Cape Cod.....and I can buy a house.

Cost of living is almost half, I am glad I made the move and would do it over again.

6. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Matt, the north side of Atlanta is growing tremendously. I would move there before I would Fayette county. I think 40-45 an hour for mowing is more in line. I don't know about the hardscapes. I don't know about a sweet house for 150k either. For north Atlanta that will be a starter home. I think a minimum of 225k should get you a nice house. Hope this helps.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

In WA, you'd be luck to get a shack with 4 walls for under $200k

8. QualityLawnCare4u

I find it amusing how real estate varies so greatly. In my area for 200k you would have a 2 story with garage, large in ground pool overlooking a tennis court sitting on at least 10 acres in a ritzy area. Well, ritzy for south Ga. anyway. Ritzy means your neighbor does not have goats tied to the bumper of a junked car sitting in the front yard.:D Serious!

9. Scag52inch

Scag52inch LawnSite Member

Here in this part of WV about 5 or 6 years ago you would be lucky to get $30 per hour probably , but now we are turning into suburbs of Northern VA and MD and everything is going through the roof in real estate. If I dont get at least $45 per hour I wont bother with the job. I also have to feel out the customers , if they are from here they expect cheap , but if they are from Northern VA and MD I can usually charge more.